Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Gabby

" Dad, can you please just tell me what's going on?" I asked him, getting inpatient.

He was currently on the other end of the phone quietly listening to me repeat the same question over and over again. I was becoming annoyed.

" Your mom overdosed, baby girl. I'm sorry, but she passed away "

My dad was still talking, but I completely zoned out. I was standing there stuck with the phone still to my ear. I disliked my mom, but never imagined myself getting a call like this. Overdosed? My life was never supposed to be like this. I always thought she would eventually feel bad for me or shit, even feel bad for herself and eventually get cleaned, but I guess not. I always thought that one day we could still create that close mother and daughter bond, but all my hopes and dreams had just vanished completely. I was hurt and angry all at the same time.

I heard Tyler talking to me too, but I just couldn't respond. He grabbed the phone out of my hand and started talking to my dad. I continued to stand there taking in everything and trying to hold my emotions together. I saw the chick that was just in Tyler's face staring at me with her friends by her side. I needed to get out of this place before I completely lose my shit.

" Gabby lets go. We gotta go get our shoes." Tyler said to me once he hung up the phone.

My mind was telling me to move, but my body just wouldn't let me. Tyler noticed that I still didn't budge so he ran to the front of the skating rink and shortly returned with our sneakers in his hand.  He gently sat me down on the floor and then proceeded to put my sneakers on. Once that was done, he put his on and then helped lift me back up on my feet.

" Gabby, I know this is a hard pill to swallow ma, but we gotta go. Do you hear me? He asked me.

I shook my head yes as he grabbed my hand and walked towards the entrance. He held my hand the whole time until we reached the car. He opened the door for me and closed it behind me once I was inside. The car ride was quiet, but my thoughts were running a mile a minute. I felt like my brain was about to explode. Tyler was still in the background talking to me, but I was still unresponsive. Once we arrived at the house a knock on the window caused me to jump out my skin.

I looked over and saw my dad signaling us to get out of the car. I unbuckled my seat belt and took a deep breath before stepping out. My dad embraced me with a big hug that lasted pretty long. My eyes started to water, but I tried to keep it together as much as possible.

" So I came here an hour ago to check up on her and talk about a few things, but she didn't answer the door. I had got this weird feeling so I welcomed myself in because the door was unlocked. When I got inside I saw her passed out on the couch." He explained to us as we all walked towards the front door.

" Dad, is her body still in there? You didn't call the ambulance?"I asked, confused.

" I did call the ambulance once I confirmed she wasn't breathing, but they ass didn't make it here yet. I honestly think since I mentioned that it was a drug overdose they figured they could take their time." My dad said.

" Naw, you might be right. It's really sad how they be operating these days. They take their time when it's drug and gang related, but quick to jump to the white folks. I swear it's because we're black." Tyler said, shaking his head.

I smirked as I hit Tyler in his leg. Everytime shit is unfair to black people in this grimy ass world we live in,  they are quick to say,  " It's because we black aint it?" The debate with that topic is drastically long and I don't want to get on that subject at all even though I feel like the facts speak for themselves