Chapter Twenty One

Two months later

" Alright, your new total is $18.49" I said dryly to the customer that stood in front of me.

She really had me waiting here for twenty extra minutes while she went and found some batteries. I gave her direct orders to where to find them and she still took her time coming back like I don't have a line of customers waiting for me. I swear this job tests me on a whole different level.

" Next." I called out as I hit the roll of quarters on the counter so that I could open them and place them in my register.

" Oh so you don't have a best friend anymore?" A familiar voice said, causing me to look up.

Jade stood there with her arms folded, looking like she didn't get any sleep in days. I haven't talked to this girl in two months. It wasn't purposely, but honestly I've just been focused on alot and I hate having to be the one that always has to reach out to her first. I've been doing that since we've been best friends and it's really getting old.

" Jade it's not like

" It's not like what exactly? It's like every since I opened up to you, you ghost me. I knew I should've kept that shit to myself." She interrupted me.

" Let me get this line down and once I'm done , we can get some lunch in the mall and talk." I said back to her.

I didn't feel like all this and her getting into her feelings while im at work is just doing the most. Don't get me wrong I still love her and she's still my best friend, but things really just feel kind of off.

" Fine." She said as she stormed away, leaving the store.

I finished up my customers and then headed to the back to clock out for lunch. Right before I left the break room, my coworker Lizzy stopped me.

" Hey girl, how are you feeling today? She asked me.

" I'm good, about to head out and get some food wassup? I asked her

"I saw the girl you were talking to in the line. She's sitting right outside the doors waiting for you.

"Oh ok." I said to her, confused.

I'm confused as to why she is delivering this message. Lizzy is known for being in everyone's business. This girl stays eavesdropping and always on a mission. She's definitely not my type of female so I stay far away from her.

" umm I just wanted to inform you that she was crying and looked really bothered. She was shaking her leg and twitching and shit. Something seems off." She said to me,

Alright, I'll look into it, thanks." I said, giving her a fake smile before walking away

This is the crap I am talking about. She is always putting her nose into other peoples business, it's so annoying. I grabbed my bag and headed outside the store. I saw Jade sitting there, staring out into space.

" You okay?" I asked her as I sat across from her.

" Yea I'm good. How have you been? She asked me

" I've been good. Really just been focusing on me these last couple months." I said back to her.

" So you can't focus on yourself and still be a friend to me?" She asked me, jumping straight to the point.

" It's not that. I just feel like the phone works both ways you know? Jade, I'm always hitting you up and making sure you are good. If you wanted to talk to me, you could've called." I said back to her