chapter 1

The years 4010 its the beginning of the new year. In the past that used to be a celebration but now it is dreaded. For a while now the Earth has been getting more and more populated and many efforts have been made to stop it but only one worked.

Every decade the government picks people at random, even though no rich person has ever been touched, and they take some their close family and friends and put them into a room. Where then they have to choose who lives and who dies. Not only that but you have to pick between two different ways both gruesome. After five rounds they kill you. It used to be semi normal the government picked a few people to go and that was all. Now the thing is televised and everything.

I got up and gotten ready that morning. I put on my favorite pair of cargo pants with an oversized my little pony t-shirt and a flannel on top. "Iris your gonna be late!" My mom yells up the stairs to me. I put on my chunky combat boots and run down stairs. My hair a mess and I haven't slept in a few days. "Honey you need more rest" she kisses my forehead and smiles at me.

"Ik mom its just hard to with all the stress, have they picked this years victims yet?" I grab my lunch box off the table sneaking two cookies in.

"No not yet but worry it wont be anyone we know." She says in her comforting voice but I know we have no way to know until they choose.

"I love you mom."

"Love you too Iris."

I grabbed my skate board and walked out. I started to head to school. When I finally got there I could tell everyone was tense. My school was one of the dirty poor schools as the rich would call it. No one had almost any money here. On the side of the school there was graffiti everywhere, windows were broken, and all you could see were kids vaping. I was ok with it but I heard most schools don't allow it.

"Boo!" I jumped and turned around. It was my friend. We had been friends for years now. He had fluffy black hair that covered his face, he had pasty white skin and he normally wore a baggy t-shirt from a band he likes on top of a hoodie with some baggy jeans under it.

"Don't do that I'm already anxious enough Ashy." I jokingly punch his arm. I looked around the school looking for our other friends. "Have you seen Ruthie and Levi"

"I saw them earlier by the basketball court smoking together." He looks at me and nods his head that way. We spot them in the corner laughing at who knows what.

"What you lovebirds up to?" Asher ask taking a seat in the other side of them.

"Trying to not get worked up about whats happening." Levi replies scooter closer to Ruth. We all sit in silence even if we act calm on the outside everyone is panicking today. You or your loved ones can be chosen. Levi eyes start to water and you can tell he's not trying to cry. Levi's always been on the softer side he doesn't like horror or gory and hates violence at all. The silence interrupted by the school bell.

"Well Ill see you guys later." Asher gets up and leaves. Both Levi and Ruth get up together and head to class since somehow they got all matching classes. I look over the gate at the distant city. Tall skyscrapers and the greenery. There's cars that hover above the grounds, and no graffiti anywhere. Then there's the 20ft wall, dividing us. Our side is covered in vulgar graffiti and chewed gum. Everyone talks about what they thing there side of the wall looks like. It circles around our small city.