Chapter Three

Both my hands are holding onto the sink sides. My fingers curl upwards, grabbing on as tightly as I can. It's like a life boat holding me above water. I quickly run the cold tap and bring my face to the basin as I carelessly splash water on my face. Hoping that the ice cold water will take me away from the guilt that is churning inside me. I pull my head back and I can't help but stare into the mirror.

My black hair is tiredly pulled back in a messy bun, while small pieces of hair curl around my face. I try excruciatingly hard not to look in the mirror because my face is just a simple reminder of my sister. Both of us were identical in looks. However, she was always more put together. Her hair was always eloquently twisted in some type of braid which only enhanced her natural beauty. Like me, she was blessed with high cheek bones and pink pouty lips. The only difference between us was that my face had a small birthmark below my right eye.

I remember being a teenager who wanted nothing more than to cover the small mark which marred my skin, I was constantly caking foundation on my face to cover the small imperfection, in hopes that I would look like Katie. My sister's skin was flawless with a honey due glow that only brightened her angelic face and highlighted her angel like features.

I couldn't help but take a moment to look at my face, one that was owned by my sister. It never once felt like my face when I looked in the mirror but today was the first time I truly saw myself. Yes my features were similar to my sister but now I looked more haggard. There were dark circles under my eyes, ones that concealer could no longer hide, but my face was clear of wrinkles, there were no laugh lines, there were no crinkles in the corner of my eyes. I could see that my eyes no longer twinkled but were dull and lifeless. I just watched as the small drops of water cascaded down my face and drop onto the black t-shirt that I was wearing.

Taking large breaths, I tried to come myself down. I wanted to avoid the panic and the anxiety that creeped up on me. That urge for a beer no longer existed and all that remained was a deep want for something stronger, something that would damage my liver and create a fuzz in my mind. I pushed myself away from the sink and swung the bathroom door open, only to bump into something tall and built like a brick.

I clenched my eyes, closing them before I hit the floor, except the large brick wall was was quick to grasp my wrists and pull me up. His large, firm hands wrapped around me like the ivy to a tree. His hands weren't soft but rather coarse and callous. Before I could thank my saviour, words tumbled out of his mouth that caused my body to jolt with fear. It was like an ice bucket of water drenched me from head to toe.

"So Louise, this is where your hiding?"