Chapter Twenty Two

So while everyone went off to University, I stayed back at home studying before I resat my exams. With Jordan also being gone I decided to take on a part-time job at a coffeeshop. I remember my mother's screwed up face when I told her my plans. She was adamant that the job was beneath our status, even with my atrocious grades. Since my sister and Jordan went off to the University of Brighton, my mother started to knock down all the confidence I had built up. She didn't care about the damage she was doing. She just continued to tear me down.

If that wasn't enough, I realised how ghastly life was without Jordan around. I mean even though we texted everyday and video chatted as much as possible. The strain on our relationship was visible. By the end of the day, we were both tired from classes and from work. I didn't want Jordan to miss out on the university experience so I would always encourage him to go out with his flatmates. He deserved it.

The only blessing that came out of this situation was that my relationship with my sister grew. She would call or text daily. I would often get pictures of her and Jordan together. She would be pulling a funny face while he would just have a straight face. He always looked unamused. When I found out they were going to the same university I was a bit sceptical at first but I made him promise that he would look out for her. Katie, on the other hand was adamant that she would not let anyone steal my man.

Katie had become the sister I always wanted. She would call me when I told her I was down, she would spend time just listening to my insecurities. She would talk to me about Brighton and how she can't wait till I get there. She would tell me all about her classes and everything she would do. She became my best friend. She was someone that I could never hide from. She would hold the mirror up and listen as I pointed out all my faults, then Katie would simply say that was who I was programmed to be.

Occasionally, when on facetime, she would look sad or down. I remember asking her what was wrong and she would guiltily say "sorry". Whenever I asked why she would simply respond with the shake of her head, "We could have been close all these years". I remember telling her that it was water under the bridge.

The only thing I didn't realise was that she was about to break the damn and flood every bridge we ever built.