Chapter Four

Maxine

My Stomach is rumbling like an earthquake. I'm so hungry I feel sick. We walk into the kitchen and I can see food everywhere. The fruit bowl and bread is enough to make my mouth water. I sit down on one side of the kitchen counter and Collin walks around to the other side going through the pantry's. 

He turns around and asks "What do you want to eat, and don't tell me you'er not hungry because you obviously are."

There is no fighting him over it. He is going to make something either way and besides his cooking isn't half bad.

 I just shrug. Food is food, If it can take away my sick feeling then I honestly don't care what he makes. 

"Alright, how about grilled cheese? Simple enough right?" He asks, even though we both know he is going to make it even if I say no. He starts cooking immediately. I swear he's a wizard at cooking. 

I can't resist and I take a tangerine from the fruit bowl. It won't spoil my appetite anyway, it's only to take the edge off.  I start pealing off the rind and when I try separating the slices it squirts juice in my face. I yelp in surprise. Collin starts chuckling on the other side of the counter.  

"Did it get you?" He asks through laughing. I roll my eyes and don't answer him. He turns around, rolling his eyes back at me sarcastically.

 "Oh I'm sorry ma'am, do you need a napkin to wipe away the mess so it doesn't wreck your makeup?" He asks while grinning at me. He takes down the napkin dispenser and hands it over to me. I wipe my face and mutter "For the record, I don't wear makeup." He just chuckles and turns back over to the stove to continue the grilled cheese.

 He can be so annoying sometimes and spending time with him 24/7 will probably drive me insane. On the other hand he has moments when he can be serious and he is one of New Yorks strongest werewolves. Just depends if the little kid in him comes out to play or he sticks to his big kid instincts. 

He finishes the grilled cheese relatively quickly and before I know it he has two stacked on a plate cut up and everything. I take one half and hesitantly bite into it. He leans back with his arms crossed, raising an eyebrow. My eyes light up. This is delicious! I know he's a good cook but I didn't expect this! 

"Good?" He asks as if it isn't already obvious. I nod rapidly with happiness. I haven't had this good of a meal in a while. I kinda got used to bread, cheese and ketchup sandwiches. He laughs softly. Before I know it the sandwiches are gone in seconds. I look at the plate with surprise. 

"Told you, you were hungry." He says with a smirk on his face. I roll my eyes and get up grabbing my dishes to walk over to the sink and clean them by hand. 

"You do realize there is something called a dishwasher right?" He says opening the dishwasher. I'd forgotten we had one of those. 

"That's for lazy people." I snap quickly so I don't seem weird. I'm already useless enough in this pack I don't want to seem weird too.  He just shrugs.

 "I think it's just a waste of time to do them by hand."

 "Well maybe it's not a waste of time to someone who gets to be free but for someone who is locked inside all the time it's one of the most thrilling things I get to experience." I bark back.  

 He looks stunned for a moment at my random outburst and then sighs. "Max I don't make the rules. I also know it's not the safest world out there for you. Trust me it's for your safety." I have been hearing 'Trust me it's for your safety' since I got here. It's meaningless to me now and just aggravates me at this point. 

I glare at him and say "Oh don't give me that load of crap! I know it's because I can't control it and if the other packs know I will be executed! I'm not an idiot Collin, Nor am I a little girl anymore!" I can feel the tears burning in the back of my eyes. He just looks at me with that weird sympathetic look again. It's not like he understands what I'm going through anyway.

 "Max, I know you aren't a little girl. How long have you known though?" He asks. Why the heck does he care? Besides it's not like they're very good at hiding it.

 For some reason I can't look him in the eyes to respond so I go back to cleaning the dishes and reply  "Since I was 12..." I glance at him over my shoulder and he looks bewildered. 

"Wait, so you've known all this time and you still fight Axel over it telling him that the rules aren't fair?" I can tell he is confused based on how his voice sounds.  

"I know I can protect myself better then you could..." I say mumbling my words. 

Collin's eyebrows raise and he says "First off I have enhanced hearing if you haven't  forgotten so I heard that. Secondly if you can't control it then what if what happened all those years ago happens again, because I know for a fact, if it does Axel won't be able to save you again." He has a valid point. However this is a topic I despise talking about and there for I refuse to bring it up. Especially when it only gives Collin the better hand in the situation. I turn over after I finish drying the dishes and look at him. "Not a Topic that needs to be brought up Collin." I growl. My memories of the incident is the main thing I want to leave behind in my past.