Chapter Seventeen

Tiffany

She moves a lot in her sleep. I've started to get worried if this so called medicine is actually going to work. That's what the queen called it and she can't lie so I guess it is a medicine. If it works, it will be so much better to have the old Maxine back. The one me and Leo grew up knowing before her father took her away when she was 4. Those Savages will get finally get what they deserve. 

Suddenly there was a gasp that sounds like it comes from the Queen. 

"Maxie are you okay? How are you feeling?" she asks with hope in her voice. I think we are all hoping. Even when we know there's a chance. That it will falter and then our plan will fail. However buy the looks of Max, that isn't going to happen. She tried to move but it obviously failed. We strapped her in at the Queens orders. I do think it was a little bit too cautious but the Queen reassured Leo and I that it's for safety reasons. 

Max opens her eyes and is looking around like she's just woken up from a nightmare. Based on the side effects the Queen told us about, she probably will have scattered memories and they'll come in one at a time. 

"Oh Sorry! I forgot to take those off. You move a lot in your sleep." The Queen says. She's giving her a smile so I assume that she thinks it's working. Leo starts moving forwards probably to help take the straps off. I join him to help since there are quite a few. 

"Welcome home." I say and notice that Leo says the same thing in sync with me. Siblings think a like I guess.  Max looks at us like we are familiar. That's good news for once. The medicine might have actually worked. Max pushes herself to lean up against the headboard as soon as all the straps are released. 

"Maxie how are you feeling?" The queen asks again. 

"I-I feel... hungry" She replies, her voice horse. Probably because it's dry because she hasn't talked for a couple of hours. It's Ironic that she's hungry. She was always the foodie growing up. 

I hear Leo chuckle as he says "Of Course you are." 

I decide to chime in with "Well then let's go to the food hall, I'm sure there will be something there."  I remember as kids, she would always ask us to go with her to the food hall to steal  some of the fresh Apple turn overs. 

I see a slight smile flash across her face and know the word food made her happy. That's another good sign. 

The Queen gets up and goes over to leave the room. I guess that means she's agreed to take her there with us. She's been super overprotective of Maxine since she's gotten here... it's unsettling. Then again the only thing that matters is that Max is back. 

Before I can realize what's happening I notice Leo has taken her hand and is leading her out after the Queen. I think Leo remembers his task. If he doesn't follow through on it then we're all doomed. Silently inside my head I pray that he doesn't get too ahead of himself as I speed up to catch up with them. 

"Do you remember how to fly?" The Queen asks as soon as we're all outside. 

It looks as if a bright shine of light crosses Max's face that's full of excitement. It was one of her favourite things to do when we were younger. Leo starts laughing but doesn't say anything. Before I know it I'm laughing too and I say "Of course she does it's her favourite thing!"

"Tiffany and I will go ahead. Leo will show you the ropes in case you forgot how to activate it." The Queen says dryly staring at Leo sternly. They exchange nods. I guess this means the plan has been put into action, to put the medicine to the test, to see if it actually worked. Let's just hope that Leo doesn't get too carried away.

I walk over to join the queen at the edge of the bridge. We exchange quick glances and then on the count of three we jump. I clear my mind and focus on the ruffles of the trees in the wind.  Taking a deep breath and I feel myself come to a halt in the air. I know that my wings have sprouted from my back. Joining the Queen going back up, we leave Max and Leo to do their thing. Flying over to the food hall, the Queen doesn't talk once. Guess she isn't in the mood for talking, but as we land she starts asking questions.

"You remember your part? Don't get too attached, just protect her. We can't let them have her back." She starts saying staring off into the direction we'd just come. 

I nod hesitantly. I don't like the idea of them having her back. Not that it's going to happen. Not on my watch anyway, she's practically like a sister to me. I can't let myself loose her again. 

Soon I hear the fluttering beats of two wings and realize Leo has landed down beside me. He's a  little flushed. I roll my eyes, of course he's flushed. He's had a crush on her since we were little. 

Not even two seconds later, Max appears flushed as well. She shouts down at us "Uhhh how do I drop down?!" Her green wings are fluttering rapidly. Wait, is she doesn't know how to get down then does that mean Leo forgot to teach her about that? It's one of the most important ones! 

I think the queen and I are thinking the same thing as we give him the unimpressed look. He swings up his hands sarcastically as in to say 'my bad'. He rolls his eyes after a moment and shouts up at her "Just stop focusing so hard on the noises and the wings will disappear!" Not long after she drops down but from way to high. I think Leo grasps that because before anyone else can react, he catches her so she doesn't end up breaking any bones. They stare at each other with shock and it's starting to get awkward. 

"Okay, Okay enough of that you guys, cmon be civilized fairies." I say pulling her up and out of his grasp. I'd forgotten how light she was. Leo runs his hands through his hair with his face bright pink. He's definitely embarrassed. I roll my eyes and stick beside Max trying to keep her a fair distance away from my brothers infectious charm germs. 

The Queen hastily pulls Leo aside. Probably to ask him about how he think the plan is going. Trying to see if she remembers or if she is as obedient as she's supposed to be. 

Not long after they turn around and the Queen gives Max that dangerous smile of hers.  

"Maxie do you know anyone by the name of Collin? Maybe Axel or Ruben by chance?" She asks. I think this is the final cut, to see if it worked or not. I have my fingers crossed behind my back that it worked. 

"Who?" Max asks with a very confused look on her face. YES! YES! YES! IT WORKED! 

Relief fills my body as I notice the same thing happening with the others.  "Oh don't worry about who they are. As long as you know you haven't ever met them then thats all we need to know." Leo states with a kind, joyful smile on his face. 

"But-" Max tries to protest but the Queen cuts her off saying  "Ah ah ah! You can't ask anymore questions." I watch the fear and confusion flood Max's face when her mouth snaps shut and no matter how many times she try's to open it, it won't unstick from its current position of being shut. 

This is good but painful to watch at the same time. She's held to so many dangers when anyone has control over her. At the same time it's what the Queen wants, so I can't protest. This means she also doesn't remember anything from her old werewolf life. Now we can live in peace with her. Back to the way it used to be.