CHAPTER 11

AARON

THE TRUCK WAS DARK. I swore to myself under my breath. I knew that Jonah's Tactical Armory was a setup. That's the whole freaking reason I'm in this mess. And I understand that, leaning on someone in desperate, expectation, is-- pathetic, but I couldn't stop wondering if Snow would be back for me. I fixed myself upright, back against the cold, metal, wall of the armored truck. I looked over at patrick, who was shuddering with every breath.
"Yo, patrick," I said, "y'know, once we get out of here, we're gonna get a nice house somewhere far, away." He didn't budge.
"Just shut up, Aaron" his voice ragged and raw, "don't even try it." His blonde hair covered his eyes.
I blamed myself for bringing him down like this.
He picked himself up, his heart pounding against his chest.
"I'm leaving when we get out of this mess." He said, avoiding eye contact.
Now that he was up, I could see his eyebags, they were a really dark, purple, his lips were split and swollen, his chin indented a little, covered in a purplish-dark red. The truck hit a giant bump, and he fell back on his heels, letting out some breath as he fell.
"Pat, list-"
"Just stop!!" He shouted.
I decided to leave it be and turned my shoulder over a little, leaning on my left side. I rested my eyes for a little, dazing off into a sleep.

"Wake up!" A man yelled.
Well, this morning's gotten off to a great start.
The man shoved his foot at me, bumping me against the cold metal, wall. "I said, get up!" He shouted at me again. He poked his rifle at me, finger on the trigger.
"Okay, okay! I'm awake! God." I waved my hands in the air.
But that's not what he wanted, because when I said that, he pressed the rifle against my scalp, saying, "Get. Up." I rose from the floor, and sat upright.
"And to be fair, you said, wake up. Not get up."
"You really wanna die a smart alec?" He asked through his teeth.
         "Y'know?" I gently and slowly pushed the rifle away, "just maybe."
He stabbed my stomach with his rifle and a storm of pain rolled over me, bringing every shallow breath an audible gasp. I was hauled out of the truck and tossed onto the ground. We were in the middle of nowhere. And so was patrick. Nowhere. I crawled back on the surface of the truck and screamed Patrick's name, "Patrick, where are you?!" I shrieked. I was grabbed by the arms and silenced myself, because being held in that position made me think back to the facility and... and John. We-- I left him.
I was led through a series of halls and doors. I entered one room, as the door sealed off. In the dark, I realized, there were more people in this room with me. A leg swept my feet and I fell to the ground, going out.
"

Wait, Aaron?"
I knew that voice, but it was too late. I was out.