Amelioration

They always say, "New Year, new me." but never really change. I did.

This year had been amazingly wild. I got bullied, met my best friends, nearly killed a man, got a boyfriend, saved a life, (twice) and so much more. I even met some ghosts! 

That morning was December 31st. I and my friends had decided to throw a party. New Year's was tonight, and we wanted to remember this year forever. It had been the best one any of us had ever experienced in so long.

I called everybody to meet at Larry's. Once they had all arrived, I assigned each of the something to bring. "Larry, you bring beer. Todd, you bring games. Ash, you bring snacks. Travis, you bring yourself. Chug, you bring the drinks. Neil, fireworks. Maple, art shit. I'll bring some food and drinks, maybe some games." I informed, checking everybody's name off the list as I called them out.

They all agreed and left except for Travis. "Why don't I have to bring anything?" he asked, sitting next to me on the floor. "Your dad, duh." I answered, rolling my eye. "Oh, yea." he muttered, smirking to himself, likely remembering what happened a week prior. 

Travis' POV:

I stood there after everyone left, waiting for a second to talk with Sal. "Why don't I have to bring anything?" I ask, plopping down on the floor right next to him. "Your dad, duh." he retorted, rolling his eye. "Oh, yea..." I murmured, smirking. 

He's so considerate. Like, he thinks about what I can and can't do when it comes to things and what I'm comfortable with. He's the reason Larry and all of them don't hate me. He's the reason I'm passing my classes, and the reason I feel loved. 

The reason I'm still alive...

Sal's POV:

"What? Did I say something funny? Is something on my mask?" I ask, feeling around my mask and attempting to figure out why he was smiling. "No, it's nothing." he answered, completely brushing it off. "I mean, there has to be something. You never just smile like that. I know you too well." I objected, knowing that something was the cause of his sudden bashfulness. 

"It's just..." he started. "I love you so much..." he finished, looking up at me but just for a split second. "Like, you are so considerate and loving. You help me no matter what it is and I really don't know what I'd do without you. You are literally the reason I'm here..." he admitted, sighing as he did. 

I felt my face heat up and a burning sensation come to my nose and eyes as tears welled up. "I love you too, Trav..." I responded, wrapping my arms around his neck and lifting my mask. I peppered his face and neck with kisses as he laughed. 

"Sal!" he cried out, trying to push me away as I tickled him. "P-lease!" he yelped, gasping for air between laughs. "Ha!" I laughed, avoiding his hands and continuing. I only stopped when he started coughing. "You okay?" I asked, watching as he gasped. "Yeah, I'm good." he answered, wiping underneath his amber eyes. 

"You're so mean." he taunted, acting as angry as he could while stifling his boyish giggles. "Whatever, jerk." I retorted, standing up and leaning my hand out for him to grab onto. He latched on and pulled himself up off the wooden floors that had been decorated with stains and rugs. 

We talked for a while before most of the others got back. They had all gotten what they needed and gathered it all in Larry's room. "Okay, put the drinks in Larry's normal fridge, beer in his minifridge so Lisa won't see. Snacks on the kitchen table. Games on the coffee table in the living room. Fireworks next to Larry's bed and art shit go on Larry's bed." I informed, watching as the teens scattered around the room with the packages they had been assigned to get.

A tug on my shirt grabbed my attention as I looked over to see a red Travis standing there. "Sal, can I at least help set it all up? I feel, I don't know, guilty? About not being able to bring anything." he asked, fumbling with his fingers.