Long Wait

I sat there for hours on end, contemplating returning home or waiting. Ironically, I ended up waiting because I couldn't decide. 

"Mr. Fisher? He can be seen now." A nurse called, poking half her body out of the door. I jumped up and ran over, nearly falling as I did. 

She guided me to the room with Travis. "Be careful; he's still a little out of it from the medication." she warned, exiting the room. 

My heart broke when I saw him. 

His eyes were red and glossy, and bumps and bruises covered him. "Hey, Trav..." I muttered. "Sal?" he whispered, grimacing as he spoke. "Don't talk; your lip is busted. It'll just hurt more." I said, sitting in a seat next to him and grabbing his hand. "What happened?" he asked, ignoring my advice. "Ms. Gibson and I broke in and...and we shot your dad because he cut me...then I found you and we carried you to the medics..." I informed. 

He nodded but gasped right after. "Stop, Trav. You're going to hurt yourself more. Just relax; I'm not going anywhere. Not until I can take you home with me..." I promised, reassuring the bruised boy beneath me. 

"I love you..." I whispered, letting tears fall from my eyes as Travis rubbed the base of my thumb with his own. I removed my hand so I could take my mask off. Once I did, I threw my hair into a ponytail with a pink scrunchie. 

Soon, I gave him my hand and he grasped it again. He drifted off to sleep after a while. I never let go of his hand. I held it the entire time.

*Time Skip*

I had fallen asleep. When I woke up, I looked at Travis. He was awake and staring at me with the softest smile. "Morning, handsome." he greeted, squeezing my hand. "Morning, sexy." I retorted, smiling back at him as he smirked in pride at my nickname. "Haha, very funny." he replied, jokingly rolling his eyes. "I wasn't joking. I think you're sexy." I protested. "I know; I just wanted to hear you say it." he admitted. 

"I love you." I said, watching as his smile shrunk a little. "What?" I asked, worried I said something wrong. "Why?" he asked, looking away. "Why do I love you? Is that what you're asking me?" I inquired. He nodded slightly and glanced back at me for a split second. "I love you because you love me unconditionally, you have the brightest smile and cute ass braces, your eyes are so deep and pretty, your skin is soft. You make me happy beyond belief and I couldn't imagine a world without you. Even thinking about one of us with someone other than each other makes my stomach churn. I love everything about you, Trav. From your family issues to your birthmarks and scars you try to hide." I admitted, my face heating up as I let out a breath, I didn't know I was holding. 

"Oh please, you're flattering me~" he joked, holding his hand to his face, pretending to be swooning. "Ha, that's most of it. There's more." I said, halfheartedly giggling. "You should see what I write about you..." Travis murmured, not expecting to be heard. "What do you write about me?" I asked, utterly intrigued. 

"I'll give them to you as your gift. If it wasn't for Christmas, you'd never even know about them." he informed, raising a finger and tapping my nose. "Fine. It's only two weeks away." 

"That's so long~" he whined, and I smiled a little at his boyish nature. "You know what else is long?" I asked, trying not to smile. "Wh-" he stopped once he figured out what I was talking about. "No, I don't. Guess you'll have to show me." he taunted. "Once you're healed." 

He pouted and rolled his eyes. "Fine..."

*Time Skip*

It was now two days before Christmas. Kenneth is in jail for child abuse, and I have to pick Travis up from the hospital. Today is the day he gets to come home. 

Every day for two weeks, I would go to the hospital after school. I couldn't stop going. I had to learn so I could tutor Travis when he gets back. 

I ran out of the school and down the street to wait for the bus. It took around ten minutes because of all the traffic with kids getting out of school. I used to ride with Larry but now I have to ride the public bus instead of the school bus. 

Once it arrived, I climbed on and paid my fee. Taking a seat in the back, I was shaking in my seat. The bus stopped at the hospital, and I climbed off with incredible speed. I ran to the doors and into the elevator, pressing the button for the fifth floor.

Travis' Floor.

I sprinted to his room, opening the door with haste and impatience. "Travis!" I yelled, walking over to him. "Sal!" he yelled back, walking over to me with a slight limp. "You ready to go?" I ask, glancing at the nurse. She smiled and allowed us to leave, informing us to sign out at the front desk. 

*Time Skip*

My father pulled up and we got in. I assisted Travis and then climbed in myself. "You boys ready? he asked, pulling out. "Yup. I finished the presents, and nearly used all the wrapping paper. Do you think Travis is going to like his gift?" I asked my father, teasing Travis with the mystery of his present. 

"I do, Sal, I do. He'll love it." my father said, smirking as he picked up on what I was doing. "Really?" Travis rhetorically asked. My father and I nodded as he chuckled. "You guys are jerks." Travis insulted, crossing his arms. 

"Listen, Trav," I said, resting a hand on his shoulder.  "There was a long wait to see you out of the hospital. It's two more days."