Chapter One

The sky was azure save for some fluffy clouds floating around. I gazed at the wonderful sky as I was sipping on my latte macchiato, lost in oblivion. My boss, Andres, had called for an urgent meeting with me and I could not guess why. I glanced at my watch. It was half past eight and he had asked to meet at quarter past eight.

The door opened. There he was dressed in a navy blue T-shirt complete with black shorts, which did compliment his eyes, black as ebony. I waved at him to call him over. After placing his order with the barista, he walked over to me.

"You're late," I said, smiling.

"Had some stuff to take care of," he answered.

"So what did you want to tell me?" I asked eagerly.

"So....." he began. But was cut short.

"Order for Andres!"

"That's mine, let me get it," he said.

I joined the International Spy Institution (ISI) about a year ago. I had been surviving on my own after I ran away from my adoptive parents. I had worked tirelessly to save up to move to another country as I had just turned eighteen, I was an adult now. To be honest, I'd never really had a home which I cursed my birth parents for abandoning me. If they didn't want me, I wasn't going to look for them either. My adoptive parents, on the other hand, made home hell on earth. I was expected to wake up early every morning and do all the housework and still have to go to school and get time to study at home. If I failed any class, the torture I went through was beyond words. The scars on my back were more than enough evidence. I was overworked and burnt out, like a flame that was constantly being blown. I'm more than glad to have gotten away and moved far away from them.

 Andres was very impressed with me and hired me on the spot, to my surprise. Must have been my street-smart coming to the rescue. Having to fend for myself taught me a lot of skills. He said, and I quote, "Meghan. So smart and observant yet calm and composed." But being in such a secret company had its costs. You had to vow never to reveal your true identity which sort of made it difficult to date.

"Okay, I have a better idea, how about we go back to HQ and I'll explain everything there?" suggested Andres, as he returned with a cappuccino in hand.

Life in the organization had been going great. For me it was more than just a job, it was a family of colleagues I had joined. Something that I had always craved for. The missions I had been on I was always the helper so it would be thrilling to finally get my own case not to mention how much it would boost my career.

We left and I gave the barista a big tip because why not? The coffee was amazing as always. We went in Andres's Bugatti Chiron Noire Sportive as I had taken my car for repair. The car was a stunning midnight black and the leather seats together with the interior did not disappoint.

In the car, Andres blasted some funky music as we have the same taste in music, and in a jiffy, we had arrived. ISI headquarters stands tall with a strange and interesting design. It was 40 stores high. We walk in and meet with the bubbly receptionist, Ellie. Ellie never seemed to feel sad like honestly and I genuinely admired her for that.

 "Hey guys!" she said, beaming with joy. 

"Hey you, looking extra happy as always," I said. We checked in as it was mandatory and went up to Andres's office.

Andres is that one stylish, organized guy. His office is placed perfectly where the sunlight comes in but not too much creating a warm ambiance. His shelves are well organized, his mahogany desk full of papers but neatly placed, and to finish a cream Persian rug right under the desk.

"Have a seat," he said, pointing towards the armchair right in front of his desk, as he sunk into his office chair. He sighs. 

"This can't be good." I thought to myself.

"Meghan, you have been a good agent to the company and we appreciate you being here. This will be your biggest job yet and it will take a while depending on you. So I do think you're capable but do you think you're ready?"

"What was he talking about?" I asked myself.