three

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER THREE . · ˚✧
the heart wants what it wants

val d'isère, winter 2023

My eyes flickered open to glowing yellow lights and green eyes the colour of orange blossom leaves. My heart lurched into my throat, my vision spinning. I realised my back and neck were supported by something comfortable and warm—I realised a beat too late that it was Charles' arms and lap. My mouth went dry.

"She's awake!" Arthur's voice sounded through the restaurant, breaking the uncomfortable silence I had noticed hung in the air. When I looked up, I caught him peering at me over the back of his chair, neck twisted uncomfortably to smile at me. I realised then how much I had missed his face—and how much he had grown. He wasn't the fourteen year old boy who kept being pushed into the pool by the older boys anymore.

"Honey, how long has it been since you've eaten something?" Mum asked.

I cleared my throat, pulling myself up and away from Charles as if his touch burned me. My purse lay discarded on the floor, and I picked it up, pulling it towards me. However, the quick movements caused my vision to blur and spin. Charles' hand reached for my arm and steadied me.

"I don't know... I guess since this morning...?" I trailed off, unsure. Everything was a little hazy right now. My arms gave out underneath me, causing me to sink down to the floor.

"Hey hey, stay with me," Charles said quietly as he reached forward, pushing himself up on his knees. Alfie, who had lowered himself to the floor to check on me as well, quickly got up.

"I'm getting something from the kitchen for her to eat. I'll be right back," he said, and then he was gone.

Lorenzo handed Charles a glass of water, which he lifted to my lips. Realising what was going on, I narrowed my eyes. I meant to lift my arm to take the glass from his hands, but my muscles weren't cooperating. Noticing my struggle, Charles' lip tilted into a soft smile. If I didn't know him any better I'd think he was mocking me. But years of experience had taught me a lot about Charles Leclerc's character: he wasn't the kind of person to mock. Tease? For sure, but mocking, never.

Carefully, I parted my lips and Charles tilted the glass so that ice cold water found its way into my mouth. I hadn't realised I was thirsty until I got a taste, and before I knew it, the glass was empty. Charles asked for Lorenzo to refill it, and by that time, Alfie was back with a basket of bread and a wide variety of desserts in small bowls.

It was then that I noticed that everybody at the tables around me was staring. I couldn't blame them, of course, but the realisation made my cheeks burn. Charles glanced around the room and gently started to help me up. His hands on my arms was enough to cause the rest of my body to burn, too.