four

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER FOUR . · ˚✧
summer love

palermo, sicily, summer 2014

The next evening, Dad and Hervé were outside heating up the barbecue while Mum and Pascale busied themselves preparing chicken skewers, spare ribs and more. Charles and I had been tasked with cutting up the veggies for the salad, while Arthur set the table. Lorenzo and Alfie were making some concoction of a cocktail, but it mostly involved them messing around with a wide variety of liquor bottles. Charles and I often shared a secret, unspoken glance that said a million words—sometimes I nearly broke out into a laugh.

I was dicing cucumbers when Charles moved past me, his arm and then his chest brushing past my back. It had every nerve ending in my body sizzling, my teeth sinking into my bottom lip. I turned so that I could follow his every move, watching as he grabbed the bottle of olive oil and returned to his spot in front of the large bowl of salad. I took a step towards him to slide the contents of my cutting board into the bowl, watching as his green eyes took in my appearance. I felt confident in the cute blue dress that I had bought on my shopping trip with Lorelai. It was modest, because my mother would have a fit if the neckline was even slightly risqué, but the bodice flattered my waist and hips.

Yesterday and today had involved many splash fights between me and the boys, as well as many rounds of catching up. I told them about my new friends, my good grades and in turn they each told me details of their life. Things we missed, things that didn't exist during our vacations—they were ghosts of our real lives, memories of a life we escaped whenever we were together.

Charles used two spoons to mix the contents of the salad, while I washed off the knives and cutting board before sorting them into the dishwasher. When I turned, Charles' gaze was on me, a soft smile playing on his lips. When his eyes met mine, the innocence behind his gaze disappeared. He walked over to the sink beside me, washing his hands. His arm brushed mine, causing goosebumps to raise on my skin.

He cleared his throat, then wiped his hands on his shirt and let out a curse, "Merde, I've messed up my shirt. I'll get changed before dinner starts," then, he leaned over and dropped his voice to a whisper, "Meet me in my room, five minutes."

Something almost like the familiar burn of alcohol down my throat whisked through my veins. What could I say? I glanced down at my outfit, finding no stains or rips or anything of the like I could use. When Charles was already halfway up the stairs, I let out a squeak. "I'll be right back. Bathroom!"

"Alright. Be quick! The grill is almost ready," Pascale said, although her voice faded into the background as I rushed up the stairs behind Charles. His hand found my arm and before I realised what was happening I'd been pulled into his room.