nine

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER NINE . · ˚✧
everybody wants a taste

val d'isere, winter 2023

I was only two jäger bombs in and already my vision had started swimming. I clung to Alfie while he ordered another round of some shot or the other—I couldn't focus, because I was hyper aware of Charles' body on the other side of me, leaning away. It made a lump form in my throat. Why didn't he want to touch me?

It wouldn't have been bad if there'd been no one at the bar, but the guy Charles was standing next to was sending him daggers for the amount of space he was taking up, because of the way he avoided touching me in every possible scenario. I hated myself for craving it. After all these years, I was still addicted to his touch, to his presence.

It was even more annoying after today, after he took care of the kids and showed once again how perfect he was. It was like a knife to the gut, seeing how perfect he was and knowing he didn't want me. Especially because he had chosen to not have me, when all I'd ever wanted was him. I couldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing I still wanted him so badly.

As soon as the bartender placed the clear shot in front of me, I reached for it and lifted it to my lips. I didn't care about waiting for the rest—I needed the alcohol asap.

There was, however, a holler from Alfie beside me that caused me to pause the minute the slightest sip of vodka coated my lips. I turned in the direction Alfie had now twisted his tall torso to, and nearly dropped my shot in the process.

"There you are, Beaumont! I've been looking for you," a familiar voice shouted from across the bar, her hands on her hips and blonde pony tail swaying beside her. Alfie tensed beside me, the muscles in his back freezing underneath his black turtleneck. Forgetting all about the shot I'd now discarded on the bar, I ran into my best friend's arms.

"Lorelai! I didn't know you were going to be here," I mumbled into her neck as her arms wrapped themselves around me. She smelled like expensive vanilla, as if she'd just stepped out of the kitchen after baking a batch of oatmeal cookies. Knowing Lorelai, she had.

When she finally pulled away, a wide grin danced on her features. "That's what they call a surprise, silly."

Our moment was interrupted by Lorenzo separating us with his hand outstretched, ready to introduce himself. It wasn't long before Arthur hopped off his chair and followed, and Charles very respectfully nodded at her from his spot leaning against the bar. I raised my eyebrows at him, but his gaze was trained on Lorelai, a smile plastered on his face.

God, he confused the shit out of me. Why couldn't he come over and greet her like everyone else did? I shook my head and was about to stalk my way over to him, when there was a tap on my shoulder.