thirty-seven

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN. · ˚✧
it'll be fine by dusk, babe

paris, march 2023

Paris was what some might call a bland sort of vision at this time of year, the sky a solemn greyish blue that blended softly with the beige Parisian architecture. Sunlight came in occasional bursts, glinting from rain-splattered streets and windowsills. The dampness of the air was a shock to the system, having just flown in from Bahrain a couple of days ago. Yet this was a dampness much more pleasant to the skin that the cork dry desert air had been to my throat.

The midwife's private practice was nestled a few streets down from the Eiffel Tower, unobtrusively settled between two townhouses. There was barely a sign to indicate its existence, were it not for the small, shiny black plaque beneath the brass doorbell: CALM, private practices. I pulled my coat closer around my body, looking around for any sign of my brother or my best friend. Both were nowhere to be found.

I rang the doorbell, deciding it was too cold to wait outside in the slight spring drizzle, with a cold wind biting at my flushed cheeks. I had had to sprint to the metro to avoid missing it and having to wait another ten minutes, which would have made me late. Irritation flushed through me at the fact that I had still somehow managed to be here before the people whose appointment I was attending for moral support.

I huffed, right as the door opened, revealing a short woman, with blonde hair pulled back tightly. Surprisingly, she wore a smart suit, a soft green colour that made her brown eyes sparkle with hints of gold. She smiled brightly at me as soon as she took in my appearance. "Ah, miss Katz! Do come in! How are you?"

"Oh no no," I said quickly, raising my hands with a shake of my head. "I am not Lorelai. I'm her friend, Arden. She is... the baby's my brother's. I'm here for emotional support."

"Ah," the blonde woman said with a soft laugh. "I shouldn't have assumed, I'm sorry! My offer still stands, however. Please come in, I will make you some tea while we wait for the happy couple."

I happily accepted her offer, my fingers feeling as if they could freeze off any moment—they were aching for the warmth a steaming hot cup of tea could provide. I followed the woman into her practice, following her lead when she assigned me a comfortable deep red chair to sit in, before she started to mess around in the corner, where a coffee bar had been placed.

"My name is Sandra, by the way," she said with a throwaway look over her shoulder. "I realised I had not yet introduced myself."

I smiled, shaking my head to dismiss her worries. "Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, Sandra. You've got a wonderful practice here. I adore the way you have designed the space."