forty

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER FORTY . · ˚✧
why are you wearing that to walk out of my life?

baku, april 2023

Something about Baku was absolutely electrifying. Whether it be the beautiful scenery that surrounded the track, or the people filtering in and out of the paddock, something about the city seemed to be alive and bustling with energy.

Although I tried to keep my head low and my gaze focussed on the Ferrari motorhome, aiming to get in without any strange looks or cameras flashing my way, I couldn't help but be a little in awe of the world of Formula One. It was only my second time seeing it all in live action around me, but this time, the negative connotations that came with the world were nagging at the back of my mind. Even if it all was incredibly impressive.

I found Charles already in the motor home, wearing bright red trousers as part of his Saturday traditions, even when qualifying had been yesterday rather than today, a good luck charm for what was so far a tough weekend for the Italian team. Even with Charles' pole at the sprint shootout, the car had clearly been facing issues.

As soon as he spotted me, his smile brightened, gaze drinking me in as if I were a glass of iced tea on a sizzling summer's day. I had dressed specifically for him: wearing a pretty red dress that matched the colour of his car and team shirt almost exactly. Upon my arrival, he immediately started across the room, wrapping me in his arms and pressing his lips to my temple in greeting.

"Missed you, ma Jolie," Charles mumbled against my skin, breath warm and minty. His familiar scent enveloped me, spicy with a hint of sweat from walking around and the sprint shootout session I had missed by my late arrival to the paddock. I'd had a couple of meetings to catch up with, but in the end missing out on the grand arrival of all drivers and their wives and girlfriends proved perfect for our current situation. This way, I could relax in his arms without thinking about the next headline the press would publish.

"I'm so sorry I didn't see you put in that amazing pole in the shootout," I whispered back, wrapping my arms around his waist, feeling strong back muscles flex against my palms. "But I watched the live feed. You were amazing."

"Thank you, baby," he responded with a bright smile, jade eyes sparkling in the light. "And it's okay, don't feel bad. I'm glad you're here to watch the sprint."

Charles had expressed his love-hate relationship with this format beforehand, but I could tell by his entire body language that he was so excited at the prospect of possibly winning at Baku. It wasn't a new feeling for him now, and yet it was still addictive. I couldn't say that I could blame him.

Before I could respond, Charles was already pulling me in closing and mumbling something else. "Arthur is starting his sprint soon. Shall we head to the garage to watch?"

I nodded, letting him guide me there with his fingers interlocked with mine. The garage was surprisingly empty, save for a couple of engineers behind screens doing God knows what. Charles' side proudly displayed the bright red car, and bright light streaming in from the opening to the pit lane bathed the beautiful vehicle in golden sunlight.