forty-three

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER FORTY-THREE . · ˚✧
if I was a bluebird, I would fly to you

🎶 daylight by harry styles

sicily, june 2023

Sicily was beautiful. It was like a breath of fresh air, riddled with salt and the scent of orange blossom in the air. After weeks of preparation and back and forth with Harry Styles' team, we had finally approached the physical planning and decorating stage of the interior design process. And here I finally was, walking down the street to the villa I'd spent that one magical summer in. The villa that held so many happy memories of my and Charles' relationship. The villa where it had all began.

Nerves swirled my stomach, however, at the fact I would step into the villa and come face to face with Mr Harry Styles himself. He had insisted on meeting face to face at least once, and although I was incredibly honoured (while I kept reminding myself he was just another human being), I was also incredibly nervous. My hands were clammy, whether that were from my racing heart or the humid weather.

I'd fortunately gotten dressed this morning with the weather in mind, opting to wear a white linen trousers and a blue square neck top. I had pulled my hair in a ponytail the moment the hot air hit me in the face when I walked out of my airbnb, and I'd stopped to get an iced coffee on the way since I was going to be early anyway.

I discarded the cup in a trash can after taking the last sip and took a deep breath. My phone pinged with a notification, and I pulled it out of my tote bag, filled to the brim with all of my interior design necessities (sketch book, tape measure, iPad, various colour and texture samples). When I saw it was a text from Charles with a good luck message and a red heart, my stomach dipped and I smiled.

Funnily enough, the Baku incident had only made us stronger. Although we spent less time together due to Charles and mine busy schedules, the time we did spend together was bliss and filled with fun, romantic dates. Although sometimes quality time also consisted of simply spending time at the gym or out on a run together, or on the couch watching a movie.

We had had our big debut together at the Monaco GP, although it had simply consisted of Charles and I walking into the paddock hand in hand. With the immense publicity he always received on this particular weekend, with it being his home race, the media had immediately pounced on the opening and written a string of articles on us.

However, now, two weeks later, things had settled. Declan Dubois ended up being the only client to break our contract (which, in the end, cost him more money than it did us) and Celine and I were currently drowning in applications. We had filled our agenda until next year, and were currently in talks to expand our company with two or more interior designers. I just wanted to —this was my and Celine's baby, and I wasn't going to open the doors to just about anyone.