twenty-eight

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT . · ˚✧
easy for you to say, harder for me to take

paris, february 2023

"Are you going to talk to him?" Lorelai asked from behind her steaming mug of coffee. She was already dressed in a plain white crewneck and jeans, ready to open the café in half an hour, her hair pulled back into a perfect French braid. I was sure I looked like a mess compared to her, wearing a pair of her joggers and a Rolling Stones tee with yesterday's makeup still on my face. My skin itched at the reminder, my eyes burning from the lack of sleep. Somehow, I'd found my way to Lorelai's apartment. How, I wasn't entirely sure, all I knew was that I had knocked on the door and she'd let me crash on her couch without another word.

I ran my fingers through my hair, staring down into my mug, milk swirling into the dark liquid of my tea. "Of course, at some point. It's not his fault, I know that. But I just feel uncomfortable right now."

Lorelai sighed, smiling softly, empathically. "I get it, A, I really do. But Charles was only trying to soothe your feelings, not dismiss them."

"Yeah, but it felt like he was doing exactly that. He'd seen the way Thomas looked at me, and maybe... maybe if Charles hadn't said what he said, what happened yesterday would have never happened."

"You know that's not a healthy way of looking at it," Lorelai said with a shake of her head. Something inside of me twinged at the idea that I had disappointed her. And yet I couldn't help the ache in my heart caused by this entire situation. I had barely slept a wink, tossing and turning in Lorelai's guest bedroom that smelled like fresh linen and just a hint of dust.

"Yeah, I know," I said with a sigh. "I'll let him know I'm here, but that I just need a little time. That's okay right?"

Lorelai's gaze instantly softened. "Of course that's okay, A. I'm really sorry, by the way, about everything. I should've seen the signs more clearly—Thomas always gave off a bad vibe, but—"

"We both accepted it because of Celine," I finished for her, nodding curtly. "I know that. And I don't blame you or Celine and you're right, I shouldn't be blaming Charles either. The only one responsible for this mess is Thomas."

Lorelai bobbed her head in one firm nod, setting her coffee cup down on the table. "Exactly. Good girl."

I smiled, reaching for my own cup of tea, sipping up the last of its contents. I got up, picking up both our mugs and turning around to open up the dishwasher. When I faced Lorelai again, she was packing up her tote bag with essentials for her day of work.

"Is Celine okay?" I asked, the thought of our red-haired friend and my coworker suddenly popping up into my mind. The only contact I had had with her was her quick message checking up on me and saying she'd be into the office later. I had only responded stating where I was and that I'd be later, too, and to take the day off if she needed it.