ten

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER TEN . · ˚✧
swimming on the edge of a cliff

🌶️ warning; will be indicated once scene
starts, skip to end if uncomfortable!!

palermo, sicily, summer 2014

The moon hung high in the air, a glowing centre to all the smaller specks of light scattered across the midnight sky. The cobblestones of the Sicilian streets were cold and hard against the bare soles of my feet, each step a painful, yet equally blissful, pressure against aching muscles. My heels were dangling from my hand, the breeze brushing past my legs and making the skirt of my dress flutter in the wind.

We had left the rowdy disco behind us, the noise from two blocks down travelling along with the wind, following us like a shadow sound, an echo of the past. My heart was beating wildly in my chest, the memory of Charles' lips brushing mine in the crowded room still staining my mind. Like the imprint on the back of your eyelids after staring into a bright light for a fraction of a second too long, I couldn't seem to shake that vivid memory, especially the ghost of his lips that still had me brushing my fingertips against my bottom lip.

Lorenzo and Alfie were joking around about the girls they'd tried to sweet talk back at the disco, because of which they'd strayed away from Charles and me and left us alone for close to half an hour. It had been the best half an hour of my life. Each minute had been well-spent with my hands tangled in Charles' hair and his lips skimming the side of my neck, our hips moving together to the beat. It had left a fire burning deep within my core that even the chilly breeze couldn't counter.

My skin was clammy, goosebumps appearing on my skin as a shiver ran down my spine. Charles' jade green eyes flickered to mine, sparkling in the golden hue of the streetlight above him. Something twinged in my chest as he shuffled closer and wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his warmth. My heart stuttered, afraid of our brother's reactions, but they were too drunk to care, or perhaps even to notice.

Once I realised they weren't going to throw a snide comment our way, I settled into Charles, breathing in his warm and spicy scent. Cedar and bergamot. His fingers brushed the bare skin of my shoulder throughout the way home while he hummed a tune, one that sounded a lot like Waves. Because of the alcohol still buzzing through my veins, I was more than grateful for the stability he provided, as well as the comfort.

Arriving at the villa meant that the boys had to quiet down significantly; the lights had been dimmed and, with the clock striking 3 a.m. the moment Charles unlocked the door, we walked into an empty living room. Immediately, Charles pulled me towards the kitchen and started to fill four respective glasses with water, sliding them across the counter to Alfie and Lorenzo and handing mine to me personally, fingers brushing mine with the softest of smiles. It caused a flurry of butterflies to erupt in my stomach.