fourteen

✧ ˚ ·

✧ ˚ · . CHAPTER FOURTEEN . · ˚✧
kiss me in the middle of saying something

palermo, sicily, summer 2014

The moment we reach the top of the hill, my breath is stolen from my lungs. The view of the beach wedged between two cliffs, with palm trees and cerulean water, had me itching to run down, especially because of the sweat flowing from my skin after our hour long hike. Better yet, there was absolutely nobody around—we were the only ones in the vicinity.

We had left the house at eleven am, Charles promising we would get some lunch on the way back. I hadn't been sure what he meant by that, doubt still lingering in my mind about having to sit down somewhere in filthy gym clothes.

"I've got a surprise for you," Charles tapped my shoulder, causing me to turn around and leave the view of the cliffs and private beach behind me. Once I did, my gaze caught the cluster of trees behind Charles, under which a red and white checkered picnic blanket had been laid out. A basket of bread was surrounded by various dips and fruits as well as a few sweet treats. I hadn't realised I was hungry until my stomach slightly growled at the display.

My jaw must have dropped, because Charles' lips pulled upwards into a proud smile. "I had some help so I can't take all of the credit... but I figured it would be nice to get away from the house for a little while, without it being too obvious."

I took a step closer and cupped his face, his lips meeting mine halfway, his arms slipping around my waist so I was pressed flush against his chest. As his tongue slipped past my lips and brushed mine, my body melted into his.

"I love you," I whispered once Charles slowly pulled away, the both of us breathing heavily. "And I'd love to kiss some more, but I'm starving."

Charles laughed, intertwining our fingers and pulling me towards the picnic blanket. Once we settled down, Charles poured the both of us some apple juice in plastic cups, before he leaned back on his elbows. I twisted my body to gaze at him, admiring the sharp angles of his face, the soft green hue of his eyes, the plumpness of his lips.

What was someone like him, doing with somebody like me? God knows he could get every girl on the island if he wanted to—and yet he had chosen me? A part of me was terrified of that, the other part felt... strangely smug about that.

"I don't want you to ever stop looking at me like that," Charles said, interrupting my thoughts. He was smiling, softly, lovingly—staring at me with a sparkle of adoration in his eyes.

"Like what?" I teased, settling further down beside him, looking up at the clear blue sky, the view interrupted by the shadowed branches of the trees above us. I turned my head to face Charles again, and he had propped himself up on his elbow, his head tilted slightly.