~ 2.

>> two - leaving <<

- - - -------- - - -

- - I MADE sure to double check the knife in my sleeve and gun in my trench coat before leaving the complex and walking up the stairs to my car in the parking lot. A matte black Mercedes Benz c class. A company car obviously, with every kind of thing I would need as a detective working for possibly the worst police force ever. Zeus hops into the passenger seat, sat with his mouth open and tounge out like the dopy, loveable idiot he is. I chuckle as I hop in aswell, starting up the engine and slipping on my sunglasses with the leopard print rims.

We cruised down the streets of Gotham, people staring as I drove past. I was used to it. You don't see many nice cars in Gotham for long. They're either stolen, sold, burned or just abandoned.

My eyes keep glancing to every sign we drive past until I spot it. Linda's Coffee. I pull over into a nearby space and make sure to double lock it and tap a button when no one else is around to make the car look run down and like it's lost all its wheels. I love technology.

I push open the door with Zeus at my side, a little bell going off as I did and earned a few side glances. We slowly walked in, looking for that brown over coat or table 7 sign. And I spot him, huddled in the corner with his back turned to me. That kind of brown fabric isn't common in Gotham, that's rich money cotton. It even looks expensive. I meander over to this 'Alfred' and take a seat opposite him - Zeus takes a seat beside my chair - his face being covered by the newspaper. I cleared my throat, which made him drop it down just enough to see from his eyes to nose.

Wrinkles, squinty eyes, no frown line but clear eyebags and signs of a moustache growing under that hooked nose. His eyes get smaller as he moves the paper down more, revealing more wrinkles, smile lines and a soft, warm and genuine smile. You don't see that everyday.

"Hello, miss Grady. I'm glad you came. Your dog looks wonderful." 'Alfred' speaks, still smiling and folding his paper over to place it next to the teacup and saucer he had on the table. Zeus's tail wags. There was one for me aswell, but with hot chocolate instead of strong smelling tea. I glance at it, but give it no more thought. I simply nod and hum. I track every possible exit and exactly how long it would take to get there.

Back Door.
Front Door.
Side Door.

5s
6s
12s

"There's no need for hostility. I mean no harm, you can check my pockets and you will find only a button and string." He chuckles, raising his hands in defence. I look back at his kind face and catch just how blue his eyes are. There's no motive behind them. No venom and no double cross intentions. Or is that what he wants me to think?

"Listen, Alfred. I just need you to explain one more time and make it quick. I'm already going to be late enough as it is." He smiles and nods.

"Of course, miss Grady. I will explain again, there is a job at Wayne Manor for you, only for three weeks, to be a house sitter. You will be payed, in cash - or on card if you prefer. It's $350 per hour."

He repeats the same words as before on the phone call, a little hastily this time.

$350? That's more than what I'm paid at GCPD. There has to be something else.

"What's the catch? And why me of all people? Why not someone closer to Bruce?" I question, leaning forward a little and pushing the hot chocolate to the side.

"There is no catch, and master Bruce has heard of your great work as a detective. One of the best he's seen in a while, he says. I have to agree." I smile a little, but quickly push it back. Detective instincts. Most times they're useful. The plan sounds perfect; good money, good house and it's only three weeks. But there's two issues.