6. Don't Die

"He... was nice. He was always around when we were training. I'm not so good... well I wasnt good with a blade... until now apparently." Luke offered glancing to Aemond.

"Take me back to that day perhaps." Justice offered. 

"Okay... well... Ser Criston likes to train Aegon and Aemond because they are older than us." Luke began. "It makes sense... Aegon is already competition in tournaments and Aemond will be too, it seems... normal that he would favor them." 

''Soften your knees. Feet light.'' Criston had remarked as the young princes were training together in the courtyard.

''Keep your feet light and your hands heavy.'' Harwin instructed. He of course had taken a keen interest in the princess Rhaenyra's childrens training.

"This is heavy, I'm not like Aegon." Luke was telling Jace. "I dont want to fight." 

"You dont want to fight? This is what our father does." Jace corrected him. "He fights and he wins. Wins the wars for us." Jace declared. "Dont you want to be the hero? Save the damsel in distress and win the wars, claim the crowns?" 

"Not really. Girls have cooties." Luke informed him. Jace shook his head. 

"Well we have to try harder than that. We dont look like them, we have to prove we are meant to rule." Jace reminded him. 

"Why does that matter?" Luke countered. "What we look like." He clarified. 

"It doesnt." Jace agreed stiffly. "It doesnt matter." 

''This is the stuff, Lyonel. Lads that learn together, train together... knock each other down, pick each other up. They will certainly form a lifelong bond, wouldn't you agree?'' Viserys questioned as he watched from above. 

''That is the hope, Your Grace.'' Lyonel agreed.

"What arent you telling me Jace?" Luke questioned. 

"Nothing." Jace hushed. 

''Don't stand too upright, my Prince. You'll get knocked down.'' Criston warned and Aegon let out a grunt of distaste. ''Aegon.'' Criston began.

''I've won my first bout, Ser Criston. My opponent sues for mercy.'' Aegon said pompously. Luke watched them curiously, as swung his sword around aimlessly as he watched Aegon and Aemond training, Aegon complaining. 

''Well, you'll have a new opponent then, My Lord of the Straw. Let's see if you can touch me. You and your brother.'' Criston offered and Aegon and Aemond stepped forward, sparring swords lunging at criston but he was skilled warrior. The princes were yelling and grunting as they lunged and failed to knock criston down.

"And Aegon thought he was hot stuff." Jace teased. 

"Can't beat an old man." Luke agreed with a laugh. 

''You're gonna have to do better than that.'' Criston said smugly.

''Ah. Weapons up, boys.'' Harwin remarked coming up to Jace and Luke. ''Give your enemies no quarter.'' Harwin glanced over at Criston and Aegon and Aemond, Rhaenyra's children seemed left out of the training most days.

"I'm not fighting in any battles anytime soon." Luke countered. "Why do I have to train?"

"Build strength and skill, its easier to learn when you are young." Harwin offered. 

"Why isnt father teaching us?" Luke pondered and Justice sighed looking around the group. "He's a real warrior." Harwin's jaw clenched as he stared back at Luke. 

"Your father is a good man." Harwin agreed and Luke nodded but they were talking about different people. 

"He is warrior, I guess I want to be like him one day." Luke agreed. Harwin huffed out a breath through tight lips before looking to Criston. 

''It seems the younger boys could do better with a bit of your attention... Ser Criston.'' Harwin remarked and Criston turned to him stiffly.

''You question my method of instruction, ser?'' Criston asked calmly.

''Oh, I merely suggest that method be applied to all your pupils'' Harwin suggested nodding to Jace and Luke.

''Very well. Jacaerys... come here.'' Criston agreed ''You spar with Aegon.'' Aegon chuckled seeing his younger cousin step forward nervously. ''Eldest son against eldest son.''

''It's hardly a fair match.'' Harwin remarked.

"Jace dont die!" Luke declared as Jace stepped forward. 

''I know you've never seen true battle, ser, but when steel is drawn, a fair match isn't something anyone should expect.'' Criston remarked smugly. ''Blades up. Engage.'' The boys attacked, Aegon being elder and larger got Jace down easily but Jace had fire and he jumped back up. Running back Aegon knocked the straw dummy over onto Jace. Luke jumped back nervously. He saw the smirk on Aemond's face as Jace got knocked down. 

''Foul play.'' Harwin remarked.

''I'll deal with him.'' Criston moved to Aegon as Harwin moved to Jace 

"Smirk?" Justice cut in. 

"Yeah." Luke agreed. 

"Smirk." Justice looked to Aemond. 

"I'm always getting picked on." Aemond agreed. "It was... it was just training, no one was in any real harm's way." Aemond assured her. "And it... it was nice that someone else was getting picked on. Aegon and those two always pick on me."

"I understand, I get it." justice assured. "alright keep going little lord." Justice instructed Luke. 

 ''Advance on him...'' Criston had instructed and Luke saw Aegon charging forward. 

''You!'' Aegon shouted lunging down on Jace. Harwin pulled Luke back as he stumbled on fallen sparing swords. 

''Close with him. Press him backward!'' Criston encouraged as Jace tried to get up, tried to scurry away. ''Close with him! Stay on the attack! Use your feet!'' Criston went on, Harwin glanced back at him nervously. Aegon grunted out as he kept swinging. ''Don't let him get up.'' Criston shouted ''Stay on the attack!''

''Enough!'' Harwin shouted pulling Aegon back from Jace. Luke's jaw hung open in horror as Jace scurried away. 

''You dare put hands on me?'' Aegon shouted in outrage.

''Aegon!'' Viserys called down. But no one listens to the king. 

"I'm sorry can you repeat that?" Justice brought a hand to her ear. 

"No one..." Luke looked to Viserys. "No one listens to the king."

"Really?" Viserys added. 

"That's what..." Luke stopped himself. 

"Go on." Justice assured. "You wont be punished for this truth, unless I deem it." she added quickly. 

"Courtyard bluster I believe the queen calls it." Luke offered. Justice hummed her amusement. "Then Ser Harwin and Ser Criston were shouting, I dont remember what they were saying." Luke admitted. "But I heard Ser Criston say... something like strange devotion toward a brother... or a son.'' Luke remarked and Justice nodding knowingly. "And then Ser Harwin charged screaming say it again, say it again... Ser criston was a puddle on the floor after that."

"Thank you for your candor my boy... now that we all have a clearer picture... I think we are caught up to today."