Chapter XVI: Night of Desert Solace

Tom smiled widely as he raced after Harry; feeling the cool night breeze of the desert air whip across his form as he chased his mate across the vast sands on their horses. Both of them playing a minor game of chase with other as Harry was leading them to wherever he had wanted to go tonight. Tom was curious by it; of course he was, but he also didn't question his mate too heavily.

He had learned by now; that trusting Harry's instincts and feelings from sensations was always for the best...even if the outcome wasn't always happy or good. His feelings from these things tended to keep the severity or hurt outcomes down from what could have been if he had ignored them all.

By now, the stars were out bright and full against a deep blue-purple sky without clouds to obscure them. Tom smiled internally; he wondered vaguely if Ma'at was aware of wherever they were headed now and was guiding them. Harry seemed to automatically be navigating them by them; which didn't surprise Tom now as it once would have.

While the ancient egyptian people did have maps; most of the common folk that were among the lowest of classes or slaves...they couldn't read them. Even many among the merchant class couldn't read fluidly. If they could; they were either very wealthy merchants and had been born to someone who had them taught, or could have afforded for such tutelage.

It was only the highest of the nobles, the royalty, and those who were decorated as veteran soldiers that tended to have literacy. Among the many priests and priestesses, of course. Though, there were still exceptions, as there would always be.

But because of this, many of them relied on the position of the stars in the sky to lead them safely.

They rode the horses until they had come to a large cliff and ridge; where Harry paused a moment. His green cat-like eyes glowing luminous against the darkness as he searched for something; then smiled and beckoned him to follow. Tom warily realized that now they were descending the ridges on the horses; who now seemed somewhat nervous.

But Harry eased them with magic and kept his magic up to allow them passage safely to what now was a large cavern with an underground lake to it. It was a most gorgeous sight; due to the variance of pink, blue, purple and orange-red lights that were inside the cavern. Glittering nodes of gemstones and gold or silver ore were placed about the area too; so he wondered if it was an abandoned mine. It was hidden well by the desert and ridge cliffs; Tom doubted that many travelers came by here anymore, but was astounded to see the lake turn more structured as they went further in.

But soon realized why; there was a temple here. One that was not ruined per se, but still very decrepit and in need of work to restore.

 One that was not ruined per se, but still very decrepit and in need of work to restore