4

"Wow." Finnick whistled lowly, as his eyes scanned over his district partner's costume when she stepped into the elevator.

She was dressed in a skirt, that was just like his other than the fact that hers flowed to the floor, and left a slit for her smooth, tan leg to show through. Her stylists had sporadically covered a fishing net in pearls and draped it over the front of her white tube top, as if it were a shawl.

She was done up in a mermaid inspired makeup look, with a silver wing laid over each blue shadowed eye. There were more pearls glued to her face, as well as a greenish-blue scale pattern in her contour. Her hair though. Kaianna's hair, was his favorite part. It had been put into box braids, that would undoubtedly last her into the games, but the multiple smaller braids, had been pulled back into one big one, that had small shells hanging throughout it.

"Stop looking at me like that." Kaianna mumbled unsurely.

"Like what?" He played into her sense of restlessness with a smirk, enjoying it more than he should have.

"Like she's beautiful," Kaianna's stylist, Thaddeus looked to her, with a small smile, "because you are, and to no fault of mine."

She shook her head unsurely, and the orange haired man rubbed her shoulders reassuringly, "I know this isn't ideal. However, you're the bravest person I have ever met. So, just try to make something out of it?"

Kaianna nodded her head, and let her stylist peck her on the cheek before he left the two tributes on their own.

"Finnick," Her serious tone had his eyes studying her face quickly, "for the love of fuck, stop looking at me that way!"

"I'm still confused." He chuckled teasingly.

"Like you don't know what to say," Finnick's expression faded into one of softness, rather than one of mischief when she sighed, "you of all people should always know what to say."

"I thought you didn't like it when I talk?" He chuckled.

"And that should tell you everything you need to know!"

"Ok, ok! Just, relax Kai," The nickname was a new one for her but, for some reason, Kaianna didn't mind it. In fact, it gave her a sense of calmness as the elevator opened back up, and her partner took her hand to lead the way. That was something she hadn't felt in a long time, "I'm just jealous that they made you look better than I do, and I didn't want to admit it. That's all."

Kaianna rolled her eyes playfully, "I'm sure you'll be able to get over not being the pretty one for once."

"Woah woah woah," Finnick held his hands up jokingly, "just because they spent more time on you, and your outfit is cooler, does not make you prettier."

"Oh I'm sorry," She finally took her hand from his, to playfully push it against his bare chest, "after all, you are our capital darling."

Finnick's smile faltered momentarily, and Kaianna couldn't figure out what she had said wrong. Before she could analyze the moment any further, he had spoken.

"Of course," He rested his hand on her shoulder before gesturing his other hand in front of them, "our carriage is towards the front, obviously. I'm sure you can find it on your own. After all, it's nothing new."

"Where are you going?" She wondered.

"I'll be over in a minute."

Finnick cut off her chance to respond, and walked up the line of horse-drawn carriages, accepting a sugar cube that was offered to him along the way.

"Katniss!" He put on a flirty smile as he approached the young girl, who did not seem too pleased to see him.

"Hello Finnick." The girl from twelve took her hand off of the black horse in front of her, and greeted the man with a bored tone.