Part Six, Guilt. Chapter Five.

. . .

I have nothing to say. Except warning: suicidal thoughts. What did you expect? And this haiku:

Can't kill in person?

We can videoconference

I will die online

6/4/23 Edit: Art for this Part FINALLY added!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senn braces himself for the death blow from Hubris's sword when-

"Stop!" The Kaltaris – Persira - darts forward and wrenches Hubris's blade from his hand, then kicks him backwards, making him stumble. She tosses the sword away and glares at the Nestoris. "Stop it, Hubris!"

"But-" Hubris tries to object, but Persira turns her back on him and kneels by Ria's side, looking straight at Senn.

"You're Senn, aren't you?" she asks. Senn nods confusedly.

"H- how-" he chokes. Persira smiles sadly.

"You're all she could ever talk about." She gestures to Ria's body on the ground and Senn tries to blink away the tears that have finally gathered. He feels a hand on his shoulder and looks up to see Abbigail, her purple-black hair swept behind her shoulder. She sits beside him.

"Yeah," she murmurs. "It was all 'Senn, this, Senn that.' So annoying," The Human sniffs. "What happened?" Senn sees a tear trace down Persira's cheek.

"An arrow from the trees," she whispers, pain filling her tone. "Looked like it was supposed to hit Pythus." Senn clenches his free fist. An arrow from the trees...

"Where are you?" he cries, leaping to his feet and scanning the treeline for any telltale red glow of Voltaris markings. A bow and arrow, for Rendor's sake, that's what killed her? Senn almost falls straight back to the ground in despair and grief, but then he sees a movement. "You!"

Two Voltaris, dark robes over their markings. One walks with a cane, the other supporting his arm as they exit the forest. The one with the cane is holding a bow. "You killed her!" Senn screams, grabbing for his sword, but suddenly crumples to the ground and sobs, all energy drained.

"We didn't mean to-"

"Didn't mean to?!" Persira stands and two glowing purple daggers appear in her hands. Senn is too upset to register the strangeness of this and a tear runs down his face. Abbigail stands too and draws her own blade. "You just killed Ria and you're just going to say we didn't mean to?" Persira hisses. Senn can barely lift his head, but he somehow manages to stagger to his feet and draw his blade. The Voltaris on the right tosses his bow to the ground.

"We don't want to fight," he says. Something tugs at Senn's subconscious. He knew that voice, once... "Delthaeus, deactivate your Song, now." Senn nearly falls back to the ground.

Delthaeus.

Senn shakes his head, trying to deny the images and memories that surge through his mind, trying to clear his vision as faces appear and fade almost as quickly.

The Voltaris on the left holds out his hand and a Protisium Song appears on his palm. He throws it to the ground beside the bow.

"I've rendered us defenceless, Almrak. What else do you want?" he snaps irritably.

Almrak.

The images continue to flood his consciousness, threatening to push him back to the ground.