Chapter 17: The Third Floor

A Next Generation Legend! Stand Tall, Galactic Hero!

Daily Life

After exiting the trial room, I spent the rest of the day in my room, holding the handkerchief tightly in my hand and trying not to cry, but failed miserably. The morning after the conclusion of the second class trial, I sulky headed off to the dining hall. Everyone was there, just like always. And I expected it to start like any other day, but...

"Today's count kinda sucks, huh? Toko and Byakuya still refuse to show up..." Hiro said.

"And I haven't seen Miss Asahina anywhere," Hifumi said.

"She said her stomach was hurting, so she's taking it easy in her room for today," Sakura explained.

"That is rather unusual for her. Normally she is so full of energy," Celeste commented.

"Which is exactly what makes me worry..." Sakura muttered.

"So it's just the eight of us, then?" Kyoko asked.

"It looks that way..." Makoto said.

"It's times like this where the committee chairman needs to get things going with a BANG!" Hiro shouted and pointed to Taka.

"..." Taka didn't respond and instead just stared.

"Or not...?"

The look on his face showed he hadn't slept a wink last night. It must be because of Mondo... The two of them became so close for only a day or two, and then he finds out Mondo killed Chihiro... And then...having to watch Mondo get...punished. And nothing he could do about it...

Poor Taka...

"So, I mean...what's gonna happen now? We haven't found any way out, and we have no idea if help's ever gonna come. Ngh! Now I'm all depressed just thinking about it..." Hifumi sulked.

"We simply have to make the best of things--do our best to get along and live here together in peace. Forget about the outside world, and accept this new life. That is the only hope we have now," Celeste spoke.

"What...? To live here forever...?" Makoto questioned.

"Are we really going to have this type of conversation again?" I muttered.

Celeste ignored me. "Here we have every convenience. We have food, clothes, our every need is seen to. Why are you dissatisfied? In fact, let me ask you this? What is it about the outside world that you long for? Competition, discrimination, victimization and violence... As society grows, so does its perversion. In which case, is our current situation not--"

"Demon Angel☆Pretty Pudgy Princess..." Hifumi interrupted her.

"Hmm?"

"Meggy, the drill shop owner, the bunny-eared Amazon, Catgirl Dogboy, Robo Justice the Galactic King... And...! And--! What I mean is, there's no 2D here!" Hifumi shrieked.

Celeste sighed. "The mastermind puts such base desire to their advantage, bending you to their will..."

"Okay, well, anyway... Since Taka's like, catatonic... As the oldest one here, I'm officially stepping up to take the lead! So! We're all gonna work together and spend the rest of the day searching the school!" Hiro announced.

"Searching...?" Makoto repeated.

"Well, I mean...since the class trial is over and all..." Hiro started.

"...there should be new places for us to investigate," Sakura finished.

"Yeah, that's the ticket! Maybe we'll find some kind of clue this time!" Hiro declared.