Chapter 11: Free Time Event #3

=Free Time=

Chihiro Fujisaki:

The noise of the washing machine caught my attention. I checked the laundry room to see Chihiro doing her laundry.

"What's wrong Hanako? Do you need something?" Chihiro asked, noticing me.

"Oh no, nothing's wrong. I was just having a look around," I answered.

"You want to sit down and talk for a while?" Chihiro asked.

I agreed and spent some time talking to Chihiro.

Midway into our conversation, Chihiro began to mumble to herself. "No... No...!"

"What's wrong Chihiro?" I asked.

"Ahh, it hurts..." Chihiro mumbled.

"Did you get hurt, Chihiro?" I asked worriedly.

"Oh, well...not really. I got bit by a mosquito last night," Chihiro explained.

"Oh, a mosquito? I thought you got seriously hurt."

"Oh, did I give you the wrong impression...? S-Sorry...!"

"You don't have to apologize. It was my fault for overthinking. But you said it hurts? Did it really bite you that hard?"

"Yeah, see? Look." Chihiro held out her arm, where there was a huge red bump on her pale shin.

"Ooh, that's really big," I observed.

"It's way past itchy now. It really hurts...!" Chihiro said.

"But why's it so big? Did it bite you while you were asleep?" I asked.

"Oh, no. I was awake."

"Didn't you notice?"

"No, I noticed. But..." Chihiro trailed off.

"But..." I said.

"Well, I felt it bite me, and I looked down at it. But I didn't do anything. I just sat there and watched it suck my blood..."

"Why didn't you smack it?"

"Cuz...that would've killed it, right?"

"Well, yes..."

"It must have been really hungry to suck that much blood. If it was that hungry, it would've been really sad not to let it have anything."

"It's...just a mosquito."

"Mosquitos are living things too, though. It might have its own mosquito family... S-Sorry, I know that's dumb..." Chihiro began to tear up.

"No no no! You don't have to apologize. Just try not to scratch it, okay? It'll make it worse," I said.

"But what if it gets so itchy I can't take it?" Chihiro asked.

"Mix some baking soda and water and apply it to the bump. It'll help reduce the itching," I advised.

"Wow, I had no idea...! You're so smart, Hanako!" Chihiro said with the cutest smile I have ever seen in the entire world. I wanted to squish her cheeks so badly, but I must restrain myself.

"But anyway, don't you think it's kinda strange?" Chihiro asked.

"What's strange?" I asked.

"Well this school is completely sealed off, right? So how'd a mosquito get in? Maybe there's somewhere here in the school where bugs can live and grow. Some kind of...nature-y spot. Or or or! Maybe there's a secret passage somewhere that leads out of the school!" Chihiro suggested.