Chapter 26: Double Body Investigation

First things first, I'd better check the Monokuma File. I picked up the file and began to read.

"The victims were Hifumi Yamada and Kiyotaka Ishimaru. The cause of death for each was a blow to the head. It is thought that they were both killed with a similar weapon."

Wait, is that all? I looked around and saw that pretty much everyone was thinking the same thing.

"...That's it?" Makoto questioned.

"Yeah, it's pretty strange. We got way less information this time than before," Byakuya pointed out.

"That is no problem. After all, the events of this case unfolded before our very eyes. We should know more about what happened than the Monokuma File could, anyway," Celeste explained.

"Maybe..." Byakuya said.

"There's something else that's bothering me... Someone else has been missing for quite a while..." Sakura began.

"Are you talking about Kyoko?" Makoto asked her.

"Without a doubt, she has an alibi for when Celeste and Hifumi were attacked. But what if the killer wasn't acting alone? What if they had...an accomplice?" Sakura questioned.

"An accomplice!?" Makoto shouted.

"An accomplice!?" Monokuma gasped as he appeared yet again.

"...What are you doing here?" Celeste asked.

"Don't be rude! I'm here to answer your question!" Monokuma said.

"What question...?" Makoto asked.

"You're talking about accomplices, right? I'm pretty sure I explained it before, didn't I? During the first class trial!" Monokuma explained.

-----

"Speaking of which, I'd like to ask the bear...if there 'is' an accomplice, do they also become "blackened"?"

"So you ask, and so I shall answer! Each murder is allowed to have an accomplice, but only the one who does the killing will get to graduate."

"So in other words, two people can work together, but one of them has no chance of profiting from it..."

"Then there's no way anyone would work together, right...?"

-----

"So basically...you can be an accomplice if you want, but there's no gratification in it!" Monokuma recapped.

"So are you saying nobody worked together this time, either?" Sakura asked.

"Sorry, can't answer that! It would obstruct the free exchange of information between you guys. I just want to make sure you don't forget--no matter how much you assist in a murder only one blackened can graduate. An accomplice gets NOTHING!" Monokuma said.

"Then we only need to figure out who that one blackened is that did the killing, right? Just like normal?" Byakuya asked.

"Okay, okay, let me take this opportunity to clarify the whole shebang. In this class trial, what you need to determine is...the one true blackened who devised the murder plot and put it into action!"

So the true blackened is just one person then...

"Now it's down to the final battle between all of you, and the blackened! Good luck to all the contestants!" Monokuma said and left.

"Then I can't see any way Kyoko would be connected to this case, after all," Makoto said.

"You may be right..." Byakuya admitted.