two

"Eh

    "Eh.. I don't know" the woman sighs, shaking her head at herself in the mirror. "Do you really think I look better in this one? I don't want to drag extra fabric around" she grabs at the long trail of fabric behind her.

"Come on Carmen.." the other crosses her arms. "We've went through eight different dresses! I am proud of whatever you choose, it's your wedding dress" she shrugs.

Carmen sighs. "I know.. thanks Ronnie" she places her hands on her hips, taking a deep breath and turning to the worker. "Sorry.. still not the right one" she mutters.

The worker smiles, nodding about twelve times before clapping their hands together. "That's okay! Choosing a wedding dress is a difficult decision, so, you want a shorter dress? Hm?" They circle the two girls, humming.

"Mm.. yeah" Carmen hugs herself. "One I can't trip on perhaps?" She chuckles. "I feel like these are just made to kill people" she rolls her eyes, Ronnie snickers.

"Yes, yes! I see it!" The worker squints, clicking their tongue. "You want a dress that just covers your feet so you can wear flats correct?"

"Uh-- yeah" Carmen nods, her eyes widen when the worker dashes to the other side of the store, she turns her head to Ronnie who just shrugs in return.

"Maybe their just really passionate about their job..?" Ronnie mumbles, Carmen laughs and shakes her head.

"This one will be perfect!" The worker jumps out, scaring the two of them. They hold the hook of the hanger, lifting the dress up to show the two.

"I like it" Ronnie nods. "You?"

"I do, but I gotta try it on first don't I?" Carmen grins.

"Mama!" A small voice shouts, feet tapping loudly against the wooden floor.

The three turn their heads to the six year old, Carmen smiles. "Yeah? What is it Mia?" She crouches down to Mia's height, patting the small girls head.

"I chose your shoes!" Mia beams, pulling out a pair of pink flats from behind her back. "Do ya like 'em?"

Carmen gasps. "I love them" she gently snatches the shoes from her daughter, admiring them. "Don't you agree Ronnie?"

"Those are the prettiest shoes I've ever seen! I wish I could wear them, but y'know, the bride has to be the prettiest woman there" Ronnie nudges Carmen.

"I did a good job?" Mia plays with her fingers behind her back.

"I mean.." Carmen stares at the shoes again. "If these shoes aren't the best I don't know what is" she taps the tip of her daughter's nose. "I love them and I love you my little wedding helper"

Carmen couldn't really believe this was her life, a six year old daughter? She was only twenty three! Yet she was also engaged to a man more than a thousand miles away.