Chapter One

Batman leaped across the rooftops, looking like a shadow. The Dark Knight had a solemn look on his face. He was running to Harvey Dent also known as Two-Face's house. Dent had been a friend of Batman's and Bruce Wayne's. A few weeks ago, Dent had been killed in a freak car accident. Batman was going to his old house to pay his respects.

When Batman finally arrived, he silently climbed into the house through a window. He walked around a bit, fighting a stinging in his eyes. Could they be tears? No, the Batman didn't cry.

Batman soon tripped over box sticking out from underneath the bed. Once he regained his balance, Batman slide the box open and found hundreds of pictures. The one on top was Harvey Dent and Bruce Wayne standing together outside of Wayne Enterprises. A lump formed in Batman's throat and tears threatened to pour out again.

Suddenly, a voice shattered the silence.

"W-who's there? I h-have a gun!"

Batman swept around to find a girl, no older than 14, standing behind him, shaking with fear.

He took a step forward.

"D-don't come near me! I'll shoot." She threated.

Batman put his hands in the air, showing he meant no harm.

"Who are you?" He asked the girl.

"I'm Harvey Dent's daughter, Gemma. " She replied.

Harvey had a daughter? How come Bruce had never known? Why hadn't anyone known?

"Okay... Why are you here all alone, " Batman asked carefully, not wanting to scare the girl.

"My dad's dead, haven't you heard?" She took a step back.

Batman took off his mask, "I'm not going to hurt you. You can't stay here alone."

"Wait... You're the man from my dad's picture." Gemma, still holding the gun scurried over to the box and pulled out the picture of Bruce and Harvey.

"I was a friend of your dad's." Bruce started. "Do you have any family left?"

Gemma shook her head.

"Dad was an only child and I don't know my mom... Please don't take me to an orphanage!" Gemma's eyes grew large.

Harvey would want you to take care of her... Do it for Harvey...

"I wouldn't dream of it. You can stay with Alfred, Tim, and I." Bruce said.

"Who's Alfred? And Tim?" Gemma questioned.

"Alfred is the butler, and Tim is like a son to me."

"Why should I trust you?" Gemma started backing away slowly.

"I was a friend of your dad's, like I said before. You can't stay here all alone. I promise I won't hurt you, neither will Alfred or Tim."

"My dad was friends with Batman and the richest man in Gotham..." Gemma muttered to herself.

Gemma quickly grabbed the box of photos before dashing off to her room before Batman could blink.

Gemma packed a few belongings into an old backpack belonging to her dad before walking back out.

"I guess we're leaving?" Gemma said, uncertainly.

"Yes, don't worry. Alfred help take care of you." Bruce carried her bag, but she refused to let him touch the box of photos.

Batman called the batmobile over to the Dent's house and opened the door for Gemma.

Gemma gingerly stepped into the fancy car, and layed the photo box on her lap.

The batmobile zoomed across Gotham City and Gemma clutched the box and her seat.

When the batmobile pulled up to Wayne Manor, Bruce looked over at Gemma.

"You can't let anyone know this, ok? That's one of the few rules we have at Wayne Manor."

"Ok... So, you're really.." Gemma started.

"Yes." Batman cut her off.

Gemma grabbed her bag and the box of photos and hopped out of the car. She followed Bruce into the house, her heart pounding in her chest.

It was only around 6:00 in the morning, so Gemma was dead tired.

"Good morning, Master Bruce. Would you like som-" A strange man froze when he saw Gemma. "And who might this be?"

"This is Dent's daughter, Gemma. She's going to be staying with us." Bruce explained.

"Hello Miss Gemma." The man greeted me.

"Gemma, this is Alfred, the butler." Bruce introduced Alfred. "He is here to make you comfortable. If you need anything, just ask him."

Gemma was already feeling uncomfortable. A butler? A huge mansion? Living with a man who was her dad's friend? And what about this Tim guy who also lived here?