31

Only Love Can Hurt Like This - Paloma Faith

*Knock Knock*

It's early. The sun is only just rising over the farm. I can hear all of the animals starting to get louder outside. I glance at my phone for the time and realize it's online five in the morning. Why am I awake?

*Knock Knock*

"Kallie? It's Alison" I sit up out of bed now realizing what woke me and stumble sleepily to the door and open it to find Alison in her long white dressing gown and slippers.

"Your mother is on the phone. She says it's urgent" I shove my shoes into my pumps and follow her into the main house. As I enter the foyer of the farm house, the stairs are right in the middle and fold out both to the left and right where a balcony overlooks the hallway. A large crystal chandelier hangs at the top of the high ceiling.I pick up the phone. Nervous to hear what she could possibly want at this hour.

"Hello?" Before I've got the whole word out she's talking.

"This isn't on Kallie! He came here in the early hours. I couldn't wait any longer to call" She's angry.I can tell even though she's not shouting. She wants to.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"Liam! He came here drunk out of his mind and still driving might I add. He was banging on my door demanding to see you!" She shrieks. I can hear Tim mumbling in the background.

"What did you tell him?" I hope she hasn't told him where I am even though I do need to talk to him at some point to get my things.

"I told him if he wants to talk to you to come to your work. What was I supposed to say Kallie? You can't keep bringing us into this mess!" My heart starts racing before the rational part of me can catch up. He won't hurt me in public, but him knowing where I work isn't a nice thought.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know he would do that. I haven't spoken to him" I try to reason with her. Alison has gone into the kitchen and I can smell bacon and sausages cooking and hear them sizzling. My stomach grumbles.

"Well sort it out Kallie" She hangs up. She didn't even ask how I am. She didn't even sound happy that I'm finally away from him. The relationship with her makes me sad. I wander into the kitchen to find Alison and I stop in my tracks when Scott is stood sipping something at the kitchen sink. He's only wearing a pair of grey joggers. His chest covered in dark brown hair in full view. I drag my eyes away and find Alison flipping bacon over the stove. I give him a quick awkward smile and walk over to her.

"I'm so sorry she woke you" I'm embarrassed that Scott probably heard my whole conversation.

"Oh I don't sleep past four. Busy busy days here. Grab some breakfast" Before I can get it myself she hands me a plate and puts bacon,sausage and scrambled eggs on top.

"Is everything okay?" She asks. Handing Scott his own plate. He thanks her.

"Not really. Liam went to my mum's. I have to talk to him and get my stuff. It's not fair to keep him waiting like this" I pick at the food. Suddenly losing my appetite.

"Not fair? From the little I know it sounds like he deserves it" Scott loudly sits at the table across from us. Dragging the wooden chair out across the tiled floor. Alison is sitting next to me.

"Scott" Alison gives him a warning glare. He shrugs in response but says "Sorry".

"How are you going to do that?" She turns back to me and asks calmly.

"She told him where I work. He will come there. Probably today" She looks worried. Scott stays silent but I can tell he's listening.

"Well don't worry. He won't hurt you there okay?" She rests her hand on my shoulder and I silently hope she's right.