Bonus 4

Sarabeth Taite - Right On Time

It was a Friday when a stranger knocked on my door. A tall man dressed in a suit and carrying a briefcase. At first I hesitated to answer because why would a strange man in a fancy suit come to my door and not the main house?

"Hello, can I help you?" I keep the door on the latch. Scott is on the farm somewhere with the children, I'm home alone.

"Hi I'm looking for a...Kallie Jones?" He shows me his lanyard and I read 'Smyths Law Firm'."It's actually Kallie Riley now...What can I do for you?" I ask, why would a law firm be trying to get a hold of me?

"I'm handling the affairs of Mr Liam Patterson and after a lot of searching for you I can now finish this case. May we chat properly? I have some paperwork for you" He smiles and I step out onto the porch and gesture for him to take a seat on one of our wooden porch chairs whilst I take the other. I take a quick look around to see if I can see Scott, Gabby and Murphy but they must be in the barn. It's late afternoon and golden hour has officially hit Riley Farm.

"So, it seems Mr Patterson wrote a will whilst he was incarcerated and the main recipient of that will is yourself and your shared daughter Gabriella Jones" He opens the briefcase on his lap and begins to rifle through papers.

"It's Gabriella Riley now to. I'm confused. He left us something in his will?" I correct him again. Scott adopted Gabby when we got married, she is legally now his daughter to.

"As stated here, he has left you jointly a significant amount of money and the ownership of the house you once shared together. He has also left a number of jewelry items. A silver heart chain and diamond engagement ring" He hands me the paper. I'm too stunned to speak.

"He also left a letter for Gabriella and a small note for yourself and finally he has left a letter and a cheque for a Miss Lexi. I have no address for her. However if you could get her to call me I'd greatly appreciate it" He hands me another paper.

"I don't...I don't want any of this. Can I sign for it all to be destroyed?" The words stumble out to quick. I want nothing from him. I don't need his money and I sure as hell don't want the sorry presents he once brought me. The heart necklace was a gift from the first time he hit me and that ring. My god that fucking ring was a joke engagement that he did in front of all of our friends and then ripped it off my finger the second we got home. "As if I'd marry you!" He spat at me "I just wanted free drinks, that ring belonged to my grandparents, It's not yours" I remember feeling so embarrassed for being so happy. I remember the ache in my belly for how hurt I was, I hope that ring never sees the light of day.

"Unfortunately my job is to sign it over so no. However, what you choose to do with it afterwards is entirely up to you" He hands me a pen and with shaking hands I sign. I don't know what I'm going to do with it but I won't be keeping any of it.

---

A few days later after multiple discussions with Scott and Alison I decide to sell the house of horrors and donate every single penny from the sale and the cheque to the domestic abuse shelter that Alison volunteers for and the necklace I donate to the local Mind charity shop. It feels good to know that for all of the hurt Liam caused he will now be helping to repair the lives of people who ended up with someone like him.

As for the note he left I didn't read it. I thought about it so many times and sometimes I do wish I'd read his final words to me but there is something in the power of knowing they are his final words to me and never actually knowing what they were. I'm going to hold on to that power. I did however save Gabriella's letter for when she is old enough to read it and understand and I kept the engagement ring for her to. She should have something to keep from her father and his family and from the few stories he told me about his grandmother and that ring, it didn't always belong to such vile memories.

---

I never quite realized just how nice a simple, drama free life could be. I'm watching my children grow every day, missing nothing. My husband comes home every night and acts like I'm the best thing he's ever seen. I never worry about him cheating, lying or hurting me. Every day he proves to me that love is worth so much more than I could ever imagine. I'm surrounded by truth, healing, respect and most of all warmth of a happy family. Something I could only ever dream of before him.

"What are you day dreaming about pretty girl?" Scott gazes at me, we sit like this most nights under a blanket on our porch swing watching the sun go down.

"I was just thinking that I'm really really thankful that you are my last time" I cuddle further into his arms and he kissed the top of my head.

"What do you mean?" He asks, lifting my chin so he can see my face.

"You're my last time" I shrug. "You know...My last first kiss. My last time falling in love with someone new. My last time I'll get married. My last father of my children. You're my last time. My forever kind of love" My cheeks flush as he strokes his thumb across my cheek

"You're my forever love to Sweetheart."