37

Bruises - Lewis Capaldi

Mrs Riley

"Sweetheart I know how hard it is. You want to help him. You want to be the one he changes for. I get it, but you cannot help someone who isn't willing to help themselves." Kallie came running over here hysterical. It took me a while to get it out of her what was happening. She sat on the phone to him in my kitchen whilst I rang the police. She is a mess. She was doing so well. I really thought she was picking up the pieces of her broken heart. I know its not a quick fix but to see her now, head in her hands at my kitchen table I really wonder if she is moving forward at all or just biding her time before she eventually gives in and goes back hoping the time away will change him. It never does though. I know.

"I think it made me realize how that would actually just kill me Alison. The thought of him doing that. I don't think I could carry on. I still love him. I think I'll always love him" I sit with her as she pours her heart out onto my kitchen table. She did the right thing by letting me phone the police instead of going herself. I'm really proud of her for that. That's a huge step and such a strong thing to do.

"I know you care very deeply for him. I know you love him sweetheart. Sometimes love just isn't enough" She finally looks at me. Her bright blue eyes glistening with tears.

"Do you really believe that? That love isn't enough?" She's calmer. Wiping her eyes and snotty nose on the tissue I gave her.

"I do. You can love someone to the ends of the earth but if they are not for you, they are not for you. People come into our lives for a reason. I believe this deeply and you may not know the reason yet but you will. There is a reason for him. There is a reason for all of this. That reason isn't supposed to be the end of you" I take her hand and her lip starts to tremble again.

"Look at you! You are so scared of something happening to him but look at what is happening to you. You matter to Kallie. Your life matters to" I stroke my thumb over the palm of her hand. This always used to calm me as a child.We sit and talk for a long time. She tells me about her night out with Emily. How she made a mistake and slept with him again. I'm disappointed for her but when alcohol is involved nothing good usually happens. Especially in toxic situations like this. She asks if she has let me down and I reassure her that the only heart she needs to protect is her own.

"May I ask if you used protection?" Her head shoots up and she looks at me with eyes that instantly make me worried.

"We didn't" Her hand covers her mouth as the severity of the situation hits her in the face.

"It's too late for any prevention now but too early to know the consequences. Do you know what you would do? If you are pregnant" She's gone very pale all of sudden and I worry she's having a break down. I grab a glass of water and place it next to her. She sips slowly.

"I...I have absolutely no idea" Scott strolls into the kitchen and instantly stops in his tracks at the scene before him. She instantly hides her face away from him and I stand and usher him to the hallway. He tells me Sophia is coming this evening. His girlfriend. I'm excited to meet her for the first time. He then asks if Kallie is okay and if there is anything he can do. I tell him I'll sort it and he hesitantly leaves us alone.