I will always wait for you - Jake peralta

Jake had been planning the perfect proposal for his girlfriend, Y/N, for months. He would have asked his best friend Charles Boyle for tips but Jake feared Charles would accidentally let it slip to you. He wanted it to be special, just like their relationship.

They had been together for a year, but it felt like a lifetime. They had been through so much together, including police training, their first precincts, and finally becoming detectives at the 99. They always made sure that they would help each other during cases as much as possible.

Jake knew Y/N was the one for him. He had known it from the moment they met. They had an instant connection, and he felt like he had known her his whole life. They had started dating after Jake had confessed to her before going undercover in the mafia. Jake wasn't supposed to confess like that. He was supposed to ask you out on a date and it'd be perfect. Not when there was a chance he could be dead before he saw her again. But Y/n must've sensed his fear so she eased his worries by giving him a kiss which Jake hastily reciprocated.

"You don't have to wait, you know," Jake breathed after they pulled away. "This mission could go in for longer than we anticipate and I wouldn't expect you to-" but he was cut off by her kissing him again. Before he could even get into it she had pulled away.

"Jake Peralta I will always wait for you. No matter how long it is." He was grinning from ear to ear. He had never been so in love with anyone. Ever.

Y/n was what got him through the undercover mission. The thoughts of going back to her and taking her on a date as perfect as her. Well nothing was as perfect as her but something that was worthy of her.

——————

He had been working on the plan for his proposal for weeks. He had picked out the perfect ring, a stunning diamond that sparkled in the light. He had also arranged the perfect location, a beautiful park with a view of the city skyline. It was the park where Jake had confessed his love for her and she had spoken those magic words that always melted away his worries whenever he aas stressed. It's why he got them engraved on the ring.

The day of the proposal arrived, and Jake was nervous. He had rehearsed what he was going to say a hundred times, but he still felt like he might mess it up. He took a deep breath and walked over to Y/N, who was waiting for him on a bench, hee face lit up when she saw him and it made jakes heart throb. He just wanted to kiss her. But he had more important things to tell her, he could kiss her all he wanted at home.

"Y/N, there's something I've been meaning to ask you," he said, getting down on one knee. "I know we've only been together for a year, but it feels like a lifetime. You're my best friend, my partner, and the love of my life. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Y/N was speechless. Tears streamed down her face as she looked at Jake, who was holding out the ring. "Yes," she whispered, "I will."

Jake slipped the ring onto her finger, and they hugged each other tightly. Jake held her hand and rubbed his thumb back and forth on the back of her palm. He looked at the ring, admiring it. It meant so much more than just a diamond worth over the amount Jake would have been willing to spend on anything three years ago but she was worth it.

They knew that their life together was just beginning, and that they had so much to look forward to. They had found true love, and nothing could ever tear them apart.