Chapter 1 - Part 14

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Pandanus Palms Retreat Gallery

Pandanus Island

10.20am. On the gallery tour...

"And as you can probably smell, in here is where we display Becky's candles and soaps as well as all of her herbal remedies," Zayn explains as leads Louis into another, smaller room off the main Gallery space. "Oils and balms, teas and her little herb garnis, and other bits and pieces."

"What's a garni?"

"Here," Zayn says and taps Louis' arm, trailing down to his wrist and turning his hand over with gentle a touch. He sets a small pouch into Louis' hand and Louis closes his fingers into a loose fist, rolling the little cotton bag in his palm. He brings it up to his face and sniffs, the scents of lavender and cloves immediately evident. "They're like little pouches that you can put into your bath, or in a bowl of boiling water which you can lean over and let the steam open your pores, or breathe in if you've got a blocked nose. She's got all sorts depending on what you need. They're amazing. I had a cold a few months back and I swear it cleared me right up."

"Yeah? I'll have to keep that in mind."

The Gallery is in a separate building adjacent to the main house. Zayn had explained that it's octagonal-shaped building with glass panels covering half the roof allowing the sun to stream in while keeping most of the walls solid and free for hanging artworks. There are pieces from the permanent residents, visiting artists to the retreat, and local artists as well; paintings and clay sculptures and more traditional items as well like woven baskets and mats, hanging tapestries, and carved wood.

It's a bigger operation than Louis had first thought, with a thriving online store in addition to the Gallery itself, which is one of the most popular attractions on the island for tourists. The garden at the side of the Gallery is often used for weddings too, with an arbour at one end of a grassed area for the ceremony, sculptures dotted throughout to add to the ambience. When it's not being used for weddings or other functions, Zayn utilises the area for yoga and meditation sessions.

Although Louis had said to Liam that he didn't go in for all that zen stuff, he found himself easily agreeing to meditation at sunrise the next morning with Zayn and some of the B&B guests. Zayn is deceptively persuasive, or maybe Louis' guard is just down more so than usual with how relaxed he's feeling in this new environment.

"And that's the tour. What do you think, Lou?"

"It's amazing, Z. You guys have really built something special here. All of it. The villas and the B&B and the Gallery. It's impressive."

"Thanks, man. We're pretty proud of it. Fancy a cuppa?"

"Love one."

Zayn makes them tea in the little kitchenette and they take it outside to the garden, leaving Penny to look after the Gallery. They sit at a wooden table and chairs with soft cushions near the fountain in the shade, the water tinkling away in the background and making the heat of the day seem to fade away.

"So how are you settling in? Does it feel like home yet, or still like you're on holiday?"

Louis chuckles and leans back into the cushion, kicking his legs out and crossing them at the ankles. "Yeah. A bit like I'm still on holiday, but also not. It's hard to explain. I do think I'm going to be really happy here though."

"I hope so. It's a special place and I think you'll fit right in. Already feels like you're part of our little family."

Louis takes a sip of his tea, setting the mug back down on the table. "It's exactly what I was searching for. I feel like we have a fair bit in common too. With our conditions and everything."