Epilogue

What if my heart was your heart

What if my forever was your forever

What if we held the future in our hands

And what if I were you

Friday, October 14, 2022

Louis' Villa

Pandanus Palms Retreat

Pandanus Island

7.15pm. In his recording studio...

"And then there's the guest speaker spot at the Podfest Expo in Orlando, Florida, on January 28th. They've agreed to have you attend virtually and I've secured you the closing slot at 4pm Orlando time, which is 9am your time, so that should work well," Andy says, sounding somewhere between exasperated and excited, which Louis has learned is his default position, and always enjoyable for him for witness.

Andy, his PA, slash agent, slash social media manager, who is based in the UK, has been a godsend since he started with Louis a couple of months ago. He organises Louis' work life with an efficiency and enthusiasm Louis would never be able to muster, and would never want to. He'd initially baulked at the mere suggestion of having someone work for him in this capacity, but Harry had convinced him it was a good idea–necessary even–if he wanted to avoid becoming overwhelmed with all the minutiae of this new world he'd stumbled into. He was right, of course.

"After that, you're straight into the IndyPod Summit on February 2nd, which is run on UK time starting at 10am, which'll be 10pm your time."

"Slightly less appealing," Louis comments wryly as Giselle winds her way through Louis' ankles under his desk.

"Yeah, noted. They're keen to work with you though, so they can be flexible about the slots. You could go for the pre-dinner slot at 7pm, but that's a super early, 7am start. Although, if you're in the UK then things would be far simpler. Were you and Harry still thinking about coming back for his birthday?"

"It's going to depend on his filming schedule, but nothing's been decided as yet."

"There's a slot at 11am, so how about we can opt for that, for now, and then we'll discuss further once things with Harry's work are firmed up. I assume you're okay staying up a bit later?"

"Yeah, 11pm is definitely preferable to 7am."

"I can definitely attest to that," Andy concurs around a yawn, reminding Louis that it's pretty close to that time for Andy right now, bless.

When he'd put his first episode of Blind Luck out into the void, he'd hoped it would get a bit of interest, a few hundred listens would've been a success for him as long as he was reaching some people and offering a perspective that perhaps people haven't heard before.

But that's not what happened. Not even close. Instead, it's become something akin to a viral success, as Andy persists in describing it.

When he'd sat in his creative room–or recording studio, as it's become known–talking into the microphone, it had just been cathartic, for the most part. Speaking his mind, opening up about his journey and its challenges. But most interestingly for Louis, when he'd listened back to the recording, he'd been surprised to find that there was a far more positive edge to what he had shared than he'd expected.

It's not that he romanticises what it's like. Being trapped in this sightless world, betrayed by his own body, is a constant reminder of the life he's lost, it's just that the new life he's found is wonderful in so many ways too, and if he had a choice between the two, he's not certain that he wouldn't choose this one. There are days when it monumentally sucks and times when he still thinks he'd give anything to be able to see, but those instances are becoming less and less as time passes. It might be the slightly morbid curiosity that draws listeners in, but, as he's been told repeatedly, it's that attitude that keeps them coming back for more. That, and his special brand of witty banter with his guests. Oh, and something about his sexy, raspy voice and rugged good looks. Anyways... moving right along.