Chapter 2 - Part 29

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Pandanus Airport

Pandanus Island

11.15am. Taxiing on the tarmac...

The engines surge with reverse thrust as the plane thunders down the tarmac, the force of it pushing Harry forward and he braces himself with a hand on the seat in front. As they slow, he watches the scenery in the window, palm trees and underbrush giving small glimpses of the ocean beyond.

"Welcome to Pandanus," Esava says from beside him and Harry glances around, giving him a smile and a nod.

"Thanks, mate," Harry replies before turning his attention back to the view outside.

The plane taxis along to the end of the runway, hooking around to head back towards the small terminal. Harry's been to some interesting places to shoot his movies, but this is definitely the tiniest island he's ever visited. He'd read a bit about the island and watched the few videos he could find on YouTube, although as he's not planning on being here long, so he hadn't delved into it too much. He's staying at the only hotel on the island that he could find aside from the B&B at the Pandanus Retreat, but he'd decided that it wasn't a good idea to get a room where Louis has been staying. Louis would likely have befriended the people there and Harry suspects his arrival is not going to be a welcome one, particularly once they understand Louis will be leaving, even if only for the financial loss the business will incur as a result.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Pandanus Island. The current time is 11.20 and the temperature is a warm 34 degrees," the flight attendant says as the plane comes to a stop, rocking back slightly and then halting completely. "Please proceed off the plane to collect your baggage and make your way to the customs and immigration desk. To those visiting the island, we hope you enjoy your stay and thank you for flying Fiji Airways."

The familiar ding of the seatbelt sign sounds in the cabin, and Harry reflexively looks up to see the light has gone out. He unbuckles his belt and stays seated as the aisle fills with passengers, the main door opening and letting in a rush of hot, humid air. He's used to the heat in LA, but this humidity here is certainly going to be a challenge and he wonders how Louis is coping who is even less of a fan of the hotter weather.

He follows the slow moving line of passengers and they disembark straight onto the tarmac, bidding farewell to Esava and Florina as they go to retrieve their bags and Harry follows the signs to the customs and immigration desk. He's only got a carry-on duffle bag and a shoulder bag as he prefers to travel light when he can to avoid the waiting around for checked baggage, and besides, he's only planning on being here for a couple of days so a few changes of clothes is plenty.

There's only one person ahead of him in the queue at the single desk and he takes his passport out, holding it in his free hand. He doesn't have much time to look around before it's his turn and he steps up, giving the woman a broad smile. She does a quick double take, eyes widening and then schooling her expression.

"Good morning, Sir. Welcome to Pandanus," the woman, Pat, based on her nametag, says and Harry slides his passport across the desk.

"Good morning, and thanks."

Pay scans her eyes over his passport, flipping through the pages and then glancing up at Harry.

"And how long are you intending to stay on Pandanus?"

"Just a couple of days."

She nods in acknowledgement. "Flying back out on Tuesday then?"

"Yes. That's right."