Chatpter Two

It's a Monday in May, summer is almost in full swing, and Meylin doesn't go to school

It's a Monday in May, summer is almost in full swing, and Meylin doesn't go to school. So, she's with me at work every day to save on sitter costs. I don't really mind, though she can be a handful. She enjoys chatting with everyone and sometimes causes a bit of mischief on set. But overall, she's a good kid.

"Have you made up your mind yet, Darling?" Cody asks, sauntering toward me.

I quickly glance around, making sure Meylin isn't within earshot to overhear anything about Miami. Currently, she's engrossed in a spirited conversation with the male models.

You would think after eight years, I would be prepared to return home, to see the people who were once my family. The people I loved and who loved me. Everyone... except for Rayden. Her love was what I craved the most. The love I needed. But it was all just wishful thinking. I was carrying her child and was too coward say it when Olivia left. She only gave me attention because her girlfriend did. She never really had feelings for me but instead mirrored those Olivia had. It was confirmed the night at her family home when she shouted at me to leave.

"No, Cody. I don't have an answer," I say, my focus on applying eye shadow to the model in my chair.

His voice cuts through, persistent. "Look, honey. They asked for you, and I wouldn't pass up this opportunity." I'm well aware of it. The offer is both lucrative and promising for my public image. "They pay well, and it could be a chance of a lifetime."

I let out a reluctant sigh. "I'll think about it."

"Better think fast," he interjects, brushing his hands off before raking his fingers through his slicked-back hair.

"Better think fast about what?" My daughter's voice startles me from behind.

"Your mother is considering passing up the opportunity of a lifetime," Cody explains to her.

"In Miami?" Meylin questions, her curiosity piqued. I try to concentrate on the makeup of the model in front of me, attempting to ignore their conversation.

"Yes. Talk some sense into her, little one."

"Oh, I will. She's taking the job." My daughter's assured declaration surprises me. I turn and meet her gaze.

Cody snickers, "I know that's right, Honey. Tell her." They share a high five, and I shake my head as my boss walks away.

"Mey, sit down, please," I say, resuming my focus to my job.

"Dang, you look like a goddess," she compliments the lady, whose cheeks flush beet red in embarrassment.

"Don't mind my daughter," I mutter.

"Yes, mind me. My mom knows how to beat a face, Queen," Meylin teases, attempting to butter me up, undoubtedly as part of her strategy to persuade me to go to Miami. I finish working on the model and release her.