Chapter Thirty-Three

Looking at all the new hair products her mother's new company sent her, I start to feel a slight panic

Looking at all the new hair products her mother's new company sent her, I start to feel a slight panic. They only met Meylin once, and now they've sent all this stuff home. It's up to me to decipher what is what. It's not just the products; these different types of brushes and combs have me more worried than I thought.

I know how to do my hair, but I've never done anyone else's hair. Liv does the twins' hair. Will I use that as an excuse? No, I'll toughen it out and learn. But I happen to have a more perfect child who wants their hair done a specific way. She has the same curl pattern as me, but this texture is all her mother's.

"You sure you know what you're doing? I need my hair to look good," Meylin questions as she sits on the bathroom counter, legs crossed.

Her mothers left us to go to work early this morning, and now I'm in charge of daddy duty to get Meylin ready. The to-do list is quite clear: do her hair, get her to brush her teeth, pick out her clothes, make sure she eats breakfast, and get to school on time. Of course, this list didn't originally include waking up and playing Super Mario Kart on the PS5, but did that happen and set us back by 30 minutes? Yes, it certainly did.

I wrap a towel around her shoulders to catch any loose hair. "Yes, I know what I'm doing. You want four braids in the front, defined curls in the back, and to have your front two money pieces out, correct?" I confirm with her before starting the hairdo.

"Correct Captain, don't sink the ship." She nods her head looking excited now. I spray her hair down letting each curl absorb the water. I section the hair in fours: two in the front, two in the back, leaving the sections in the back to have more hair.

"So how's classes been? You just finished your first week," I ask, as I put leave-in conditioner in her hair and start to brush it from the bottom up.

"Ow!" She pulls her head forward, away from me. There was a fairy knot and I accidentally snagged it. I apologize, kissing the top of her head, before letting her continue speaking.

"Oh, you know, the usual stuff. It's been really fun! Made tons of friends," she says with an air of nonchalance, though I can sense the significance beneath her words. It's a big deal for her. Making friends and actually intending to keep them is a new experience, given the challenges she and her mother have faced in the past.

I finish brushing her hair and start sectioning off the front into four rows, leaving her money pieces out and clipping them away. "Anyone in particular you're most excited about making friends with?" I ask while applying a light hair oil to her scalp and running it through the ends of her hair.

"Ooh, is that mint? It feels nice," she says, closing her eyes and relishing the sensation of the oil. "And I don't know, maybe?" She shrugs with a smirk, her gaze shifting down to the counter.

"Child, don't play with me!" I say and she bursts out laughing. "Spill the beans! Is this friend named after a fruit?" I joke, meeting her eyes in the mirror. She responds with another shrug, tilting her head and flashing a playful smile.