Chapter Forty-Seven

𝑀𝒶𝓁𝒾𝒶

"Whatever this teacher has to say, better be good, or I swear to God I'll kick their ass. We don't pay this much money for her to go to school if he's only going to say bad stuff," I rant as I pull the car up outside of Meylin's school.

Winter break had come and gone, and to my surprise, I hadn't received any grades for Meylin from Mr. Mellows or his TA, Alicia. Instead, I received an email notifying me that they wanted to discuss matters in person.

When I asked Adelaide and Raven about it on New Year's, they both mentioned that they had received grades for their own children, but there was no mention of my daughter's grades. This discrepancy left me increasingly concerned about the situation and eager to have that in-person discussion to clear things up.

However, when I approached them for answers, neither Adelaide nor Raven seemed particularly concerned or willing to elaborate on why Meylin might not have received her grades yet. It was frustrating, and it seemed like Raven was completely oblivious to my question. Instead, she was fully engrossed in her chase after Tyler, wildly waving those firecrackers around, seemingly unaffected by the back pain she had been experiencing for the past few weeks. I told her it was all that twerking and sex she did on vacation.

It wasn't until later, when the consequences of her actions caught up with her, that Raven realized the extent of her behavior. Adelaide, who had dealt with her fair share of painful periods before, stepped in to provide some comfort by fetching her a heating pad to alleviate her discomfort.

"Baby, you don't know if it's bad or good," Olivia soothes me as we wait for Rayden and Meylin to get out of the car. Thankfully, Meylin didn't hear my previous anxious comments, as she's too busy messing around with her dad. But I can tell she senses my anxiety around this situation.

The last time that happened, we received a big package stating she could no longer attend the school due to late payment, and she really likes this school. She's been consistently studying with her mama, participating, and completing all her work on time.

"I'm not in trouble am I?" Meylin asks, gripping her dad's hand firmly.

"No, Angel. Every student has to go through this. It's just a conference to see your progress. Mommy is just a little anxious. Don't worry about her," Rayden reassures her with a slight rub of her hand. I roll my eyes and shove her face away, shushing her.

We walk into the building and travel down the hall to Meylin's fourth-grade teacher's classroom. The teacher seems to be in a meeting with someone else, and his TA informs us that he'll be right with us.

Rayden suddenly stops in front of a board, and the rest of us follow suit. "Babies, look!"

I gaze at the board and notice that Meylin had won the reading contest of the semester. It was a contest where whoever read the most books earned a pizza party. Meylin, always considerate, had made sure the whole class could join in on the celebration by encouraging them to read as well. I remembered the teacher calling to congratulate her before the break.

I see another photo showcasing an art project and one from a science lab. I recall that particular day when Meylin had waited until the last minute to mention the project, prompting a late-night shopping run with Rayden and an all-nighter for the parents who helped her complete it.

"Look at you go, Mey," Olivia says, her eyes filled with pride. Meylin is her child, and she treats her as such, showering her with constant love and praise, staying up late if she had nightmares, and having mommy-daughter cooking dates. You couldn't tell Olivia that Meylin isn't her biological child. She quite literally will shoot you. She's fiercely protective of her daughter, and none of us would dare suggest otherwise because we all understand that blood does not define the family you choose.