Chapter Twenty-Three

I wish I could say that I spent only a brief 5 to 10 minutes in the bathroom for the remainder of the Fourth of July barbecue

I wish I could say that I spent only a brief 5 to 10 minutes in the bathroom for the remainder of the Fourth of July barbecue. But in reality, it was more like 30 to 40 minutes, perhaps even an hour. The exact time slipped through my grasp as I lost count of the persistent knocks on the door, each time responding with a murmured 'someone's in here.'

After a while, Meylin's voice reached me from the hall, informing me she was heading back to her grandparents' place with the rest of the cousins for a sugar-fueled movie night. My reply was a simple, 'okay, honey, I'll see you later,' even though I clung to the bathroom floor, convinced that the plush floor mats were the only things holding me together.

Raven and Tyler's knock appeared about 10 minutes after my daughter, informing me of their departure plans. I mustered a simple 'okay' in response. Neither of them questioned my apparent reluctance to leave the bathroom.

A third knock interrupted the stillness, and the familiar sound that followed caused my body to betray me in the worst ways. "Malia, I'm heading out," Rayden's voice caresses the air, and all I can summon is a soft 'okay.' The weight of her body leaned against the door as her words filtered through it. "Do you mind if I take Mey school shopping this weekend?"

I stared up at the bathroom ceiling, sighing. "No, Ray. I don't mind."

"Okay," she tenderly replied, her presence still tangible near the door.

"Hey, Ray?" I ventured with a soft hum. I could sense her shifting on the other side. "You don't have to ask. She is your daughter. You're entitled to spend time with her whenever you want."

Her response didn't come immediately, and my gaze lowered to my feet. Finally, she broke the silence. "Thank you," she whispered, and soon I felt the warmth of her presence fade away from the other side of the door.

Gradually, the clamorous family conversations within the house subsided, fading into the distance until only the words of the married couple remained. The soft jingle of Rayden's keys registered as she asked a simple, "I'll see you tomorrow?" to Olivia, who responded with a quiet hum before the front door closed shut.

I couldn't quite fathom why sitting on the bathroom floor of the very home owned by the two individuals I'm fervently trying not to rekindle feelings for, somehow granted me a sense of tranquility.

The last knock was Olivia's, her velvety voice weaving its way through the door to caress my senses. I remained quiet, and she released a sigh. "Hey, Mini?"

The captivating sound seeped through the barrier, wrapping around me tightly. While my body responded loudly to her words, my mouth couldn't articulate a response. She inhaled deeply, then exhaled with an air of defeat. "If you like, I can drive you back to our parents after I'm done cleaning the kitchen."

Allowing my gaze to finally leave the pristine white wall, I mustered the will to detach myself from the bathroom floor. "I'll come help you," I finally answered, breaking the heavy silence. She stepped away, and I took a a minute to wash my hands and straighten my shirt. At last, I summoned the resolve to open the door and rejoin the world outside.