Chapter Twenty-Six

The thick aroma of midnight air fills my lungs as I glance at the clock on my car dashboard

The thick aroma of midnight air fills my lungs as I glance at the clock on my car dashboard. The crimson numbers flash "1:00 AM", and an unsettling knot forms in my stomach.

I tap Malia's name on my phone's contact list, and after a few rings, her voicemail greeting fills my ear, 'Hi, this is Malia Gray. I can't pick up the phone right now, leave a message.'

I groan, rolling my eyes. "Yeah, you couldn't pick it up for years. Why did I expect you to now?" I mutter into the phone.

I redial Rayden's number, only to be met with a cold mechanical voice informing me, 'The number you have dialed is not in service.'

I stare at the phone, my annoyance flaring. "You ass! You blocked me?" I hiss at the device.

With a groan, I tie my trench coat, yank my purse from the passenger seat, and slam the car door shut. I march through the lobby, press the elevator button with a little more force than necessary, and ascend to the floor Rayden is staying on. Walking down the hallway, I find myself in front of her room. The number stares at me mockingly.

Without hesitation, I bang on the door with force. Impatience fuels a second hard knock, and just as I'm about to unleash a third, the door yanks open. Rayden stands there alone, her blonde hair covered by a black du-rag, wearing only a sports bra and gray shorts. "God, Liv. Chill the hell out," she grumbles.

"Chill the hell out?" I snap back, thrusting my purse into her chest as I stride into the room. She closes the door behind me, but I don't spare her a second glance. "I tried to call you, but you have me blocked, asshole."

She chuckles, and I glare at her. "You think this is funny? I sent Malia over here like eight hours ago! Now she's not answering her phone, and neither are you!"

She releases a deep sigh, rubbing her temple. "Olivia, now's not the time."

I spin around to face her, arms crossed. "Why? You cheating on me or something?" I throw in a snarky tone, masking the turmoil brewing within me. Before she can reply, the bathroom door creaks open, revealing Malia standing there in a towel, adjusting a blue scarf over her twists.

Her gaze lifts, locking with mine, and I can't hold back my absurd laughter. "Oh my God!" I shriek, caught between amusement and disbelief. "You're cheating."

A silence hangs heavy in the room as they exchange a glance, their lack of immediate denial telling enough. "What? Trying to even the score? Have a little secret of your own?" I accuse, directing my sharp words at Rayden.

Malia shakes her head, her voice steady as she retrieves her phone from her purse. "There's no score to even, Liv. And there are no secrets between us."

"No secrets?" I challenge. "Then why didn't you answer my million and one calls? You said you'd call when you were done here. Or did that mean the next morning after sleeping with my wife?"