6. Eda's Requiem

A/N

This is a long chapter. Also enjoy my art.

E/N/A

~~~

"Ready?" Josefin asked the B.A.T.S as they readied their violin bow. The others nodded, pulling down their masks.

Raine readied their violin as well, securing their mask. "We're interrupting a forceful recruitment in Bonesborough today. It's the Emperor's Coven again so be careful. No one goes to the Conformatorium today."

The five snuck their way towards the town center. While they were still hidden, they heard a voice.

"Let her go!" a woman commanded.

"Eda?" Raine questioned, resisting the urge to look.

"Back off, Owl Lady," Coven Guard one said loudly.

"Yeah," Guard two agreed, "no coven wants a powerless witch."

Eda punched him in the face hard enough to spin his mask backwards. "How's that for powerless?"

The gathered crowd let out "oohs," and Coven Guard #2 tried to cast a spell on Eda.

"Now," Raine ordered and started playing, stopping the spell.

The mysterious masked group of bards played music around the statue in the town square. An enchantment caused by the music appeared and caused objects to start floating around, much to the crowd's amazement. The enchantment disappeared as the music stopped.

Raine stepped foward. "Look at the emperor lackeys! Trying to, uh... Do I really have to say this?"

The tambourine player, Katya, urged them on. "We all agreed on the script."

"Trying to..." Raine blushed in embarrassment dark enough the red could be seen around the edges of their mask. "...mute the music of our hearts?" They gave a groan at having to get it out. "...And weaken magic, by forcing witches into covens against their will!"

The coven Guard yelled, "Blasphemy!"

"Blasphem-you!" Raine yelled back.

"See, you're a natural!" Amber encouraged.

"That's right, Bonesborough. They take your magic." Josefin played a single note that forced the guards into kneeling. "They restrict your knowledge." Another note and the guards marched in place. "They say they do it in the name of unity, but what they really want is control. You know what we say to that, folks? Shove off!" A final note and the guards were sent marching into trash cans then towards the Emperor's Castle.

A creature that was mostly nose looked up at the group. "Who are you hewoes?"

Raine smiled. "We are the Bards Against the Throne, AKA-"

"Surrounded!" A coven guard put on earmuffs as other guards surround the group.

"Psst!" came a voice from within a manhole. The woman indicated that the group should come with her.

The bassoonist, Derwin, created a smokescreen allowing them to escape. The sewer lead to a pipe outside the city.

"End of the line, folks," the woman said. "Word of advice. Next time you put on a performance like that, make sure you have an exit strategy."

"Weren't expecting quite that many," Josefin said, taking their plan from their pocket. "It must have been incomplete..."

"Thank you," Derwin said. "How can we ever repay you?"