29. Investigation 3 : Found It...

Josefin stored Mitt in their shirt as the group climbed out of Camila's car at the Haunted Hayride. Amity, Gus, Josefin and Hunter, true to their word, were dressed as Hecate, Captain Avery, Security Officer Quando, and Chief Engineer O'Bailey while Willow was wearing the devil costume she bought while on their adventure.

Amity pulled the group - minus Luz - closer. "All right. We'll keep the puzzle a secret 'till the time is right. And then we'll tell her about the Titan Blood!" Amity had a bounce in her step as she joined Luz.

Hunter jumped suddenly, grabbing Josefin's arm suddenly and without thinking. "Did you hear that?"

"No?" Josefin touched his forehead as Flapjack chirped. "Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

"It's okay... It's probably just in my head again." Hunter slid his little red bird into his shirt. "Nestle down, Flapjack."

"Hey... you can tell me anything, Hunter."

Hunter smiled lightly. "I know it's just... in my head. Let's just go back to everyone else."

"Alright." Josefin said, allowing Hunter to pull their arm toward the others.

~~~

After a while of apple bobbing, interrupting inaccurate plays, and waiting patiently for their turn, the group climbed onto the hay rack.

Masha stood before them with a flashlight on their face. "I hope you're all prepared for a truly scary ride."

"Make us cry!" Gus and Willow chanted. "Make us cry!"

"Because there's nothing scarier than..." Marsha shone the light on their face eerily, "...knowledge."

"Boo," Gus yelled, "just lie to me!"

"Let me tell you the eeriest unsolved mystery of Gravesfield. The Tale of the Brothers Wittebane."

Amity leaned into Hunter and Luz and Josefin could hear her say, "Wittebane? Isn't that Belos?"

Belos' name echoed in Josefin's ears as Hunter grabbed their sleeve again.

"The year is 1613." Marsha began. "Two orphaned brothers arrive in Gravesfield. Their names? Philip... and Caleb."

"Oh, no," Hunter whispered, gripping Josefin's sleeve tighter.

Josefin set a hand over Hunter's without thinking to comfort him.

As Masha narrated the story, cardboard cutouts that someone had put a lot of dedication into depicted events that happened to Philip and Caleb from the back end of the hay rack. "Caleb did his best to take care of his younger brother. They tried to fit in with this town, and its unsavory practices. They became witch-hunters! Local lore suggests that the Brothers Wittebane met a real witch from another world! Her name was Evelyn. And the older brother was spirited away. She dazzled him with magic and visions of a strange yet beautiful place. They used a secret code to travel between worlds. Philip set off to save his brother and bring the witch to justice. But neither were ever seen again! Maybe Philip saved Caleb, and they went on to lead peaceful lives. Or maybe..." Marsh turned on a flashlight and pointed it at their face. "...he's still chasing his brother, caught in a cycle of horror and strife!"

The group gasped in shock.

Masha turned off the flashlight. "Sounds like big bro got a hot witch girlfriend and little bro got upset." They shrugged. "But that's just me."

The hayride ended and the gang got out. Last to exit was Josefin, right behind Hunter. And this time they heard it to. Laughing. Familiar and fear inducing.