11: Palismen

Josefin was still groggy from the night's nightmare riddled sleep when they heard a knock on the window. Half expecting a tiny abomination with a new note, Josefin was surprised to find a bird, a small owl, with a note.

Josefin opened the window and took the note from the creature before it flew off. The note was a crudly drawn invitation with a half pound of glitter. They managed to decipher that it was for a party to celebrate Lilith's promotion within the museum.

Josefin thought for a moment, deciding if it was a good idea. They decided to go. Even if they hadn't actually gotten along, Lilith had raised them. And how hard could it really be to slip by Steve or any other coven guard?

~~~

"Sorry I'm late Hooty," Josefin smiled from under their mask. The mask was a precaution for running into Emporor's Coven scouts. "Your invitation was lovely." Josefin froze as they looked around the living room. Before them was some lady they didn't know, a local potions maker, Mama Eda, Grandma Gwendolyn, Aunt Lilith, King, and Tinella Nosa. Most surprising though, the presence that made them freeze, was that Steve was also there in a shirt that said his name.

Steve and Josefin stared at each other through their masks but Hooty spoke before they could acknowledge each other. "It is so nice to be surrounded by all of Lulu's dearest friends!"

"Yeah!" Steve cheered to break the tension. "All hail Lulu!"

"We're here to celebrate the new assistant curator of the Supernatural Museum of History." Hooty lifted his wine cup. "Here's to you, Lulu!"

Everyone cheered, "Cheers!"

Lilith accepted everyone's toast with an awkward smile on her face.

Everyone began mingling, Steve approaching Josefin. "Hey there, Violin," Steve said, leaning against the wall. "Didn't know you knew Lilith."

"Yeah,"  Josefin rubbed their neck. "I didn't expect anyone from the Emperor's Coven to be here after she got kicked out."

"Right..." Steve rubbed the back of his head. "Look, I-"

"Don't start." Josefin stopped him. "I get it, okay. I said something I wasn't supposed to and you said something you didn't mean. It's fine. We can move on and pretend it never happened."

"No, I'm trying to say that I am leaving the Emperor's Coven," Steve said. "It's taking some time because I have to choose a different coven or be..." He cleared the throat. "...dealt with. It's not easy to find a replacement coven without a palisman."

Josefin looked at Steve. "Really?"

Steve chuckled. "Yeah, a lot can happen in a few days. I'm trying to find something that lets me travel. I could just walk off but that could be a bit dangerous for my family since I'll be labeled a wild witch. If things continue though, I might just leave and travel without joining a coven for a while. Just stay away from home for a time or something."

Josefin smiled. "I'm sorry I didn't listen the other day when you tried to tell me you were serious about leaving."

"Don't worry, Violin. I wouldn't have listened either," Steve said.

Josefin took off their BATs mask. "At least you kept your post?" They chuckled.

"You..." Steve stared at Josefin for a second before turning away, his mask hiding his face. "Oh..."

"Uh... I didn't mean to upset you..." Josefin crossed their arms awkwardly.

"No, no! I'm not upset!" Steve said quickly. "I just... I didn't expect you to be you... and that I... and you trusted..." Steve paused awkwardly. "Anyway... I'm gonna go talk to the others." He hurried away.