10. Steve The Coven Guard

Josefin stopped practicing on a sour note as they heard a twig snap, followed by the solid thud of someone falling. "Who's there?" They yelled pulling on a BATs mask with a snap.

"Sorry," yelled a voice from a little way away. "I don't mean to spy on your practice." An Emporor's Coven guard managed to come around a tree with their hands up, lifting their cape to reveal their name across their chest. "My name is Steve."

"What do you want, Steve?"

"I'm supposed to be on assignment," Steve said, "but I heard you playing and wanted to see who it was. You're about as good as the coven head."

Josefin readied their bow to their violin as a threat. "What assignment?"

"Don't fire." Steve put his hand up again with a chuckle. "I'm just supposed to make sure Second Clawthorne isn't involved with the Owl Lady."

Josefin relaxed a little, realizing Steve did not know who they were. "And what if they were?"

"I'll tell you if you agree to play me a song."

Josefin was quiet for a second as they attempted to read Steve's body language. There was no harm in practicing with an audience of one. "Fine."

"Just supposed to report a yes or no," Steve shrugged. "Don't know what happens after that. I think the Emperor's just testing loyalties or somethin'. Your turn."

"Alright a deals a deal. What would you like to hear?"

~~~

"Have you ever thought about leaving your coven?" Steve asked after about an hour of practice time.

"No, not really," Josefin shrugged. "I mean, I thought about how life would be different if I had joined the Emperor's Coven when I had a chance but I like the Bard Coven well enough."

"I've started second guessing the Emperor's Coven. Well, the emperor in general."

"Really?"

"Yeah. All the Day of Unity junk seems kinda forceful." Steve shrugged. "I mean, do we really need the coven system?"

"Well," Josefin smiled, "let me know if you decide to leave. Lots of things to talk about once you become a wild witch." They chuckled. "What would you do?"

"Travel," Steve said as a butterfly landed on his glove for just a second before flying off. "I'd take my motorcycle and explore. I'd start here on the Boiling Isles and then... well, who knows where I'd go from there?"

"That sounds like fun," Josefin nodded. "I wish those could be my life plans."

"Well why not?"

"Leaving the coven would mean throwing out everything I've worked for my entire life... but at least it'll be done at the Day of Unity." Josefin had let their guard down as they practiced.

"What do you mean?"

"It's not important," Josefin said quickly. "After that I suppose..." Josefin rubbed the Bard sigil on their wrist. "I suppose that would be the time for me to travel."

"Would you want to travel together?" Steve asked.

Josefin looked at him. "As fun as traveling as a pair of masked strangers sounds, I don't know you Steve."