Ch. 66 - The Present

Harry Styles
Just outside Burlington, VT
May 1, 2022

It's been a week now without Adelaide. A week of nightmares and unanswered calls. Don't ask why I call her phone still, when I know it's locked in the security room. I don't even know how I'm breathing, standing, but somehow we keep going.

"Ok, dates are all set. We've got a time slot for your interview in about two weeks on ABC and then we'll go ahead with an exclusive Concert Stream with Apple Music. Don't worry about promo, everyone will understand using old shots." Jeff tells me, the details and contracts all spread out on the table in front of me. 

"Ok, that's good, this is going to be... good" I tell him nervously, the word good seemingly inappropriate and yet the only term coming to mind. 

"Harry, it's all going to be ok. We're making the announcement today, we've got eyes on Noah, we're going to find her." Gemma tells me, leaning onto my shoulders from behind me. 

"Everyone's going to think something's wrong, we've waited so long to tell the public." I think out loud. 

"Harry, they're going to understand. You're a public figure, these things need to remain on a need to know basis for a while. It's not like you've had the entire state of Vermont's force out looking for her." Gem says.

"Yeah, plus New York and Pennsylvania." Macey says, leaning into Niall across the table. "You've done everything the way you've been instructed, and you have the best guys looking for her. It's just, time." But I can see it on Macey's face as clear as day.

"Mace, don't lie to me. You and I both know waiting, what a week, to say something officially feels wrong. I mean, this is going to open things up to her family, to Noah. Who knows how this is all going to go." I angst out loud.

"We'll have the team keep their eyes on her family. Plus, with the engagement, we have plenty of evidence that she doesn't consider them part of her life anymore. No fake story can outweigh the truth of the past few months." Jeff reminds me. 

"Plus, this isn't your engagement or a pregnancy announcement H." Mace offers up casually, and it strikes me funny. Not sure why, things have been such a daze this last week, but I can't help but focus in on what she's said. 

We announced our engagement; but then I can see it sitting somewhere deep in Macey's eyes. She said, a pregnancy announcement. 

"Hey, uh, can I have the room?" I ask the table, nearly all of us still present outside of Louis who had to fly to LA to be with his own son this weekend. Michal and mum's boyfriend also flew back to the U.K. and are making sure the London townhouse is open again. We're thinking we should fly home soon, suspecting whoever has her may have brought her back to England somehow.

"Not you Macey, I need to talk to you." I say sternly, although I don't want to make assumptions. 

"What's up H?" Mace asks me casually, while everyone else files out of the room quickly. 

"What did you mean by that?" I ask her, moving to sit on the conference table in front of her seat. 

"What did I mean by what?"

"The announcement comment. You said, our engagement or a pregnancy announcement Macey." I say, staring her down. I can see Macey working through what to say in her head, I've never seen her like this, so I know... she's hiding something. 

_____
Macey Hamilton
Just outside Burlington, VT
May 1, 2022
right after Harry caught the shit out of my slip-up...