Ch. 75 - The Present ("The Rescue & What's Left of Them")

Harry Styles
June 28, 2022
12:04 am
Outside a house, somewhere in England...

"Peter, tell me we're doing something aside from sitting here this whole time?" I ask, growing more and more impatient by the second. 

"Yes, I'm getting confirmation on the plates, if we know it's any of them. We'll send someone up." He tells me, taking another sip of his coffee. 

My phone lights up, a text incoming from Louis.

12:05 am
Incoming text from Louis:
Your mum just arrived, last she heard we thought we found Adelaide. Should I tell her about Gemma?

I quickly respond,

12:05 am
Outgoing text to Louis:
She's going to need to know, since Gemma isn't there. I'll message her, just be ready for the wrath. 

It only takes a moment for his response to come through. 

12:06 am
Incoming text from Louis:
Ok, good luck. Let me know when there's an update. 

"We've got confirmation." Petter mutters, the face of Turner Smith appearing on his IPad. The profile displays a matching plate number to that of the one on the car sitting parked, empty, just in front of us. "That's his car." Peter looks to me, hopeful, for the first time in weeks. 

"Can we go?" I say breathless, already reaching for the passenger door handle, but Peter grabs at my arm, stopping me.

"No, that means we send one of our own in. Harry, respectfully, you aren't trained, and you are a high value target. We don't need anything happening to you as well."

Peter says nothing else to me, instead getting right to work through his walkie, radioing the other men surrounding the perimeter. 

"Ford, it's a go for you."

"Copy that." I hear come back through, before I see the door of a car in the distance, open, shut, and then see the outline of the driver lean down in front of his passenger side front tire. He then gets back in the car, and drives, with the lights off, up to the front of the house in question. 

"So he'll say he's got a flat?" I ask.

"Yeah, and we're here in case things go south... but at least he can sell the story if they ask questions." Peter says. "Don't worry though, Ford has a vest on and is carrying."

The idea of a gun near Adelaide makes me sick, but then... I'm sure there are guns in there already. God I hope she doesn't have to see anyone get hurt, after the trauma she suffered with her father... 

"I need something to do Peter, I can't-"

"Just stay focused, I know it's hard, but I need you to stay put." Peter tells me, just as the headlights of another car pull up behind us slowly. 

Gemma.

"Can I?"

"Yes, get her in the car with us please." Peter says, focusing on his IPad, sending some kind of message to someone on the squad.

I make my way out of the car and walk back to Gemma. She's sitting, looking angry as ever on the driver's side when I reach for the passenger door. It's locked, so I knock on the window and point down to it, which she conveniently doesn't see...

"Gemma, seriously, for no other reason than safety, let me in." The reminder of the stakes at hand works plenty and I feel the handle unlock from beneath my grip. "Thanks..." I say, settling into the passenger seat. "I don't know why you think you get to be mad." I tell her, honestly confused at her reaction. Her coming here is incredibly dangerous.