Chapter 16

Mistyheart was hunting when she suddenly scented someone familiar. It was Cloudpaw Fireheart's appetence.

What is he doing out here? She thought, flicking her tail and creeping closer to the scent. It was leading off to two, some legs nest. Mistyheart felt her scales price as she stopped at the tree line. She was too big to sneak out and not be noticed, at least in broad daylight.

Suddenly the rustle of bushes told her that she wasn't alone. Her teeth glittered as she bared them, her claws dining down into the earth. But when the soft scent of Fireheart entered her nose, Mistyheart immediately quelled her anger, and love filled her eyes as the orange tom padded silently after his apptreince.

I should leave them in peace. If I know Fireheart well enough, he will come to my den searching for comfort, and I want to be there for him, sheet thought, slipping away into the forest again, her gait quick and soft as not to scare away nay pray that she may find on the way. She caught a trust and some rabbits that she hung over her shoulders.

When she came to her den, she saw Whitethroat and Littlecloud stir. Mistyheart smiled, plucking her prey down and laying it in front of the cats before going to her nest, curling up in a ball. There was rustling, and a soft mew of thanks left the two ShadowClan cats' maws. Mistyheart hummed back, looking out of the entrance.

But soon, she lulled herself to a soft tune that she remembered her mother's cat singing for her when she had a problem sleeping. She would wake up if Fireheart came here.

It was true. When she woke to the sound of her name, Fireheart looked down at her with gentle eyes. Mistyheart smiled, lifting her muzzle and touching it with Fireheart's. "I knew you'd come," she rumbled softly. Fireheart smiled, settling down in her paws. "now tell me what's bothering you," Mistyheart urged, her ears pricked. "I just found out that Cloudpaw has been eating two-leg food. That is against the Warrior Code. I took Sandstorm's advice about comforting him, but he shrugged it off, thinking he would become a warrior even though he defied the code. We argued. I haven't seen him since," Fireheart burst his words into a mess.

but Mistyheart lisented intelty. When Fireheart stopped, she sighed, "Young cats are a pain. but I think you shall let him decide for himself if he wants to stay in the Clan or live with the two legs. He is young, but he knows what's best for himself," she said. Fireheart flicked his tail over his paws before his nose twitched, and he looked over, his eyes winding upon seeing the two supple shapes of the sick cats.

His fur suddenly stood on end, and he whirled on Misytheart, her big snout bumping against his face to calm him down. "You shelter ShadowClan cats?" he shrieked. Mistyheart sighed. "Yes," she admitted, "they came to me sick and helpless. I couldn't bear to see them go around on the edge of death like that. They are perhaps enemy warriors, but they are living begins too. It is not in my nature Fireheart."

Firheart sunk together, his mind heavily. A lot had happened today, and he had just discovered his mate was sheltering cats from another CLna.

It made his heart sing.

"why didnt you tell me that these were the cats that needed you?" he asked softly, looking up at her and meeting her gaze. "because I knew how you'd react, Firehearet. You are perhaps the bravest warrior I've ever met, but you are quick to judge. These cats will not harm you or your Clan," she said, her voice steady. Fireheart flicked an ear, his eyes not leaving hers.

"Alright," he said after a while of tense silence. You can keep them as long as they are not in ThunderClan territory. Just send them back when they're well enough to travel" Mistyheart sighed but dipped her head in agreement. Then the two just talked about the other two cats' obliviousness.

When one is sick, you often are a heavy sleeper.

Soon Fireheart had to leave, and Mistyheart bid him goodbye with a lick. "tell the Clan I said hi," she purred. Fireheart nodded, giving her one last fond look before spurning off and leaving the young dragons alone in her cave. Well, not entirely alone. A wail from Whitethroat reminded Mistyheart that she was not alone and still had to tend to the hungry, sick cats.

She huffed, her shoulders heaving up then drooping down. "don't worry, you'll get food," she called back, slithering out of the den to hunt again. These cats were hard to keep fed, but the food was plenty.

When Mistyheart found her prey: a juicy rabbit, she smiled, her jaws snapping at lightning speed and killing the jumper with one bite, it was juicy and would keep two cats sustained clearly.

Now she had to find some food for herself. She quickly buried the catch slinking off in the hope of more prey. Mistyheart had a feeling today would be a good day.

"There's more to being a warrior than killing. A true warrior — the best warrior — isn't cruel or mean. He doesn't claw an enemy who can't fight back. So where's the honor in that?"
Erin Hunter, , no cannon character is mine. The plot line, however, is mine as I've altered it to the liking of this book, writing only what I remember of it.

The only characters that are mine are Mistyheart, Thistleclaw, and those cats that do not have canon names. I hope you all like this and continue to sport me as you've done.

- Z