Chapter 9

~

Mistyheart was restless. She could feel her heart and soul in her bones. Something was happening to her that would change her life forever. Fireheart noticed as well when h was out on his daily patrol with her. "my love are you alright?" he asked gently, coming up to the she-can and touching her tail with his own and matching strides.

Mistyheart sighed. "Yeah, I'm fine, just thinking about somethin', nothing bad, don't worry," she said. Fireheart wasn't convinced, but they trudged together in silence the rest of the way back to camp. Soon enough, they came within the borders. A ball of gray-white fur sprang to them, nuzzling their legs "Fireheart, Mistyheart!" called a kit that Mistyheart had saved from the nursery with Yellowfang. They seemed to remember her scent and often came over ever since that fire.

Misytheart smiled gently, dipping down and giving the kit an affectionate Loick. "Hello, Snowkit. How are you?" she mewed, buzzing her nose into the soft gray fur of the equipment she had gotten pretty close with. He answered in a squeaky voice, "Just fine! Mama wants you to come over and check on my siblings. But, she says that she only trusts you from now on since you saved my siblings and me. come on, Mistyheart!" Snowkit yowled, tugging at the deputy's paw.

Mistyheart rolled her eye with a smile and padded after the squealing kit while Fireheart just watched her leave, his eyes glazing over. "you love her, eh?" came the familiar voice of his friend Graystripe. Firheart snorted. "Yeah, I do." Graystripe nudged his friend before leaving th,e fire-coated warrior to stare after the love of his life.

"and that's why I've not been attending the Gathering in a while," Mistyheart said, telling the queen of her feelings and strange visions. Cat hummed, curling her tail around her forepaws while her kits played around.

"I see. Maybe you should see Yellowfang for these dreams. They can mean something, you know," she said. Mistyheart sighed, laying her head on her paws. Snowkit came over, bumping her cheek with his "Hey, don't be so sad! You'll find out what's happening. I know you will," he said reassuringly, and Mistheart laughed gently, lifting him into her paws like that day she had done a moon ago. "yeah perhaps I will. but for now, let's play, hmm?" Snowkit wasn't against that suggestion, and with his siblings, they played with their deputy while their mother rested.

And on the outskirts of the nursery den glinted two ember eyes, a crooked smile pooling onto the cast's face. You'll bear my kits soon, my dear Mistyheart, thought the great warrior and padded away, leaving no sign that he was watching his superior.

When Mistyheart was done playing with the kits, she stood up and padded out of the den, saying goodbye to the queen and coming into the welcoming sunlight. Two blinked down at her, enveloping her with all their glory.

"Misty heart!" called the voice of Fireheart, and the young deputy smiled. "Firehaeart, hey," she said as the orange pelt cat came over, touching their nose with him respectfully. "what brings you to me?" she asked. Fireheart shrugged gently and flicked his tail at Bluestar's den. "Bluestar calls for you, Mistyheart. It's urgent," he said. Mistyhheart felt cold claws seize her. If Bluestar had called her, it was urgent, and she had to hurry. "thanks, Fireheart," she said, then pelted off toward the leader's den.

There she found the blue-grey she-cat staring into space. "did I come at a bad time Bluestar?" she asked gently, and Bluestar looked up, a smile taking over her features. "not at all, Miisty. It's good to have you here. " Come lay by me," she said, patting the ground with her tail. Mistyheart obliged. Soon, the two leaders lay side by side. "you wanted to talk to me Fireheart said it was urgent," Mistyheart said after a while breaking the comfortable silence the two old friends had settled in.

Bluestar hummed. "Yes, I did. I am getting old, and soon it's your turn to take place as a leader in this Clan. I know you're ready, and I know ic and trust you. But don't worry; I won't be gone just yet," she said, touching noses with the trembling she-cat. "W-what?" Mistyheart squeaked, her eyes fixed upon her oldest friend. Bluestar smiled, twinning their tails together and leaning into her friend. "dont worry, my dear. You'll be more ready than you think. But the time's not come yet, so you have time."

Mistyheart took a deep breath and looked down at the ground before her, then said with a raised head, "I will do my best, Bluestar." Bluestar smiled. "I know you will"